Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Winternationals

Re: Winternationals

The only bracket not fully subscribed is Top Fuel with 7 cars, every other bracket is over subscribed, as long as the sun gods stay happy, this is gonna be a killer show.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Mopar426 wrote:

Where are all the wa comp cars?
With the new points system do they not need to travel across for this one anymore?

I'm no expert but didn't ANDRA change point system?Too make WA teams travel for championship ship(go to nearly every rnd now) before they had a Little advantage ,only have to do 3 meets a year to have a good chance to win championship but now really have travel.So I don't think you see any WA car chasing championship anymore or cars coming over to race in group 2.Some times theirs good and bad to fix things up but this system hurts seeing some very tough group 2 cars run in championship

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

I don't know for other racers, but for me, i am over the 300 point cap to take into the final round of the championship.

With the Winters not being the final round of the championship anymore, 5 or 6 days off work (no annual leave anymore as i am with a new employer), tow money and the huge entry fee makes us question the value of the trip from Melbourne.

(Consider that to race in Perth it costs me a similar amount to race (flights and car in a container) and i only need to take two days off work and i get a 50% bonus on any points i score.)

Instead, i am putting the money and time into developing the package so when i come out later in the year i will ensure that i remain competitive in Group 2.

As someone said above, Group 2 isn't cheap and when you are paying out of your own pocket you need to be aware of what you're spending money on. As an example, there isn't much difference in my setup than 90% of the Pro Stocker's running around. The only cost i don't have is a clutch, however don't for a minute think that running a Proflite is cheap either. Maintenance on it is crazy as well!

Not making excuses or whinging, just explaining why Group 2 entries might be down a bit on last year and why i am unfortunately not traveling up to race this year.

Yes Max, ANDRA changed the points system from a 200 point cap (your two best results) to a 300 point cap (unlimited number of results to reach the cap) going into the final round of the season. This was due to going from 6 or 7 rounds in the Sportsman championship to 11 rounds.

WA racers still have to travel out of WA to get the bonus points they may have scored at the Western Nationals.

Darren Parker
B/APA
ANDRA #2362

Karl
Comp(13) and Super Stock(14) not fully subscribed, unless something has changed they are 16 car fields. Comp Bike does have 16 entries.

I stand corrected, thanks MichaelV8

Anyone know if Larry Dixon on confirmed in the Rapisarda entry??

Anyone knows if the 2014 Andra calendar be release at Winters or will Andra delay it because off extend series?(roughly anyone have idea when release)

Anyone knows if the 2014 Andra calendar be release at Winters or will Andra delay it because off extend series?(roughly anyone have idea when release)

Hope the rock stays dry from the 7th to the 10th.
http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/934/mini_WEATHER.jpg
click on pic to enlarge.

Edited by: Bricki - 27-05-13 21:06:29

Free willy

Attachments:

Anyone know who is Katherine Shaw in T/A, also good to Rhett Lougheed in probike could run into the 6's.

Katherine Sichter, using her maiden name.

Drag News Australia
Australia's fastest drag racing news and information source

Do you think the number of entrants in Group 2 will be ringing alarm bells at ANDRA?. 15 in Super Stock, 13 in Comp and 7 in Super Compact is a pretty dismal turnout. Nothing against those racers who have elected to sit it out (Darren has already elaborated on that) however Group 2 is the stepping stone to the Pro classes and it doesn't paint a healthy future with entry lists like this.
To break it down further, 9 out of the 45 entrants in Group 2 are not from either NSW or QLD. 1 from SA, 6 from VIC and 2 from WA (both in Comp Bike). Is it just the points & money stopping people traveling?

Is it still worth having Super Compact on their own now that the tracks all like to run their own 'Factory Extreme' exhibition classes? Putting these cars back into Comp and Super Stock would help the cause a bit but there is still low car counts.

A similar thing seems to be happening in the USA with racer numbers in Comp dwindling away.

With capping the points at 300 its not worth racers travelling all that way and spending 1000s to get there for no gain.
There are 11 rounds of sportsman racing and points capped at 300. This is a joke.
They need to reward the racers who travel.
This is the first winters I can remember where comp hasn't had racers from WA
Surely there has to be a better points system for group 2.

Not having made a huge investment in a race car, trailer, spares, and running costs including travel I can only guess at the many factors that influence entry levels at major events but if it's the points arrangements being the major issue in Winters entry levels then ANDRA should definitely have a look at it.

Not too many years ago there were 28 odd entries in Super Stock at 2 Winters running. Both qualifying and racing were awesome. Comp was also heavily oversubscribed at the same events.

I do think that ANDRA have dropped the ball in recent years with any sort of strategic vision for the sport. The quite careful and incremental development of Top Alky and Top Doorslammer in the early and mid '90's from grass roots match racing to independent brackets stands in stark contrast to the way the Super Compact deal popped up as a bracket.

On another now defunct forum a couple of years ago I posed the proposition that non qualifying Pro Stock cars be able to slot into Super Stock and non qualifying TA and TD cars be able to slot into Comp where the Grp 2 bracket was otherwise under subscribed ( I have tried to bold the words in teh last sentence from "where" on but for some reason it doesn't work). They would take their place in the Grp 2 field on the basis of the indices that already exist for those Grp 1 classes. This would help ensure full fields for all brackets. There would be a way to exclude such Grp 1 cars from Aeroflow points so Grp 2 racers chasing the series weren't disadvantaged.

I raise this from a spectator's perspective, one who enjoys Grp 2 just as much if not more than the Pro classes. I'd be interested to know what others think, in particular what Grp 2 racers think about this.

On another now defunct forum a couple of years ago I posed the proposition that non qualifying Pro Stock cars be able to slot into Super Stock and non qualifying TA and TD cars be able to slot into Comp where the Grp 2 bracket was otherwise under subscribed ( I have tried to bold the words in teh last sentence from "where" on but for some reason it doesn't work). They would take their place in the Grp 2 field on the basis of the indices that already exist for those Grp 1 classes. This would help ensure full fields for all brackets. There would be a way to exclude such Grp 1 cars from Aeroflow points so Grp 2 racers chasing the series weren't disadvantaged.

Geoff, select the text after you have typed it and then click on the Bold icon.

There are 2 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
Shepherd Mark
Members Online: