Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Nitro Funny cars (DEAD or ALIVE)

Nitro Funny cars (DEAD or ALIVE)

Is Nitro Funnycars are DEAD or ALIVE in Australia dragracing scene?.Will we see them back in Australia championship and if so how long till that will happen?.Is great to see nostalgia funnycars form their own series and  seeing huge increase off cars in that series but could that also hurt the Nitro Funnycars growth becoming a championship class?.

We have seen a cple racers abandoned their Nitro Funnycars to go and race in that Nostalgia series.Should Andra just bite the bullet and except Nitro Funnycars have their own class for 2014 Andra championship series or maybe allowed them to race with Top Fuel?Whats are other people thoughts on where Nitro Funnycars class will be in the coming future?

Edited by: max - 12-08-13 21:37:40

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Nitro Funny cars (DEAD or ALIVE)

There is no "Nostalgia" Nitro Funny Car series, the series is for "Outlaw" Nitro Funny car, its designed as a more budget series if that word exists with Nitro, ANY funny car body is allowed and the engine combinations are planned to produce consistent 5.50's

Drag News Australia
Australia's fastest drag racing news and information source

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Alive.....because they are still running and still crowd favourites when they DO race.
"Dead" would imply that there are next to no cars and no interest.

Cowin's series appears more Nostalgia than Outlaw. If consistent 5.60s are what he has in mind, it would be a formula built on the current US nostalgia combination. Bailey, Steffans,Stipanovich etc wouldn't fit that bill.

Cowin certainly has a cool deal in mind though - he's paying homage to the Nostalgia scene in the USA and trying to replicate it here. I believe it'll be successful. At the same event, it would make sense to have the current 4 'big show' FC's running separately (I doubt that handicap FC racing is what they have in mind).

Chris Stipanovich has 2 cars for sale on racing junk, green's gone. Class good as gone as far as a championship is concerned default/sad

I think our hands are tied when it comes to NFC returning to AUS.. I think we simply don't have the economics to support them as a true championship ala top fuel.. I for one am supporting the outlaw nitro funny car series that Greame is trying to get up at running.. So much so that we have purchased a complete Nitro FC and is on the water right now default/smile)
Really hope it kicks off and you never know, maybe this outlaw class will become the nitro funnycar class in AUS.

Its not dead, but at the moment only has a very faint heart beat.

Cowin is a genius and I will be returning to the track for the 1st time in a very long time (as a spectator) due to the Outlaw Nitro Funny car deal  default/big_smile

Greg "greyhoundracer" Wilson
Professional Drag Racing Spectator, former UDL holder and Crew Member.

I think it is a very sad outlook for the proper current Nitro Funny Cars and their owners. We are in the hands of the promoters and ANDRA. I personally do not understand why we all of a sudden are expected to have another bracket when for all these years all we have heard from the powers that be is that we have to many now(at least that was the excuse). The Nostalgia Nitro funny car has a place with the nostalgia race meets and are a relatively low maintenance deal considering they still run on Nitro. I have not discussed with anybody or heard directly from anybody associated with this idea as to what is proposed but according to the rumors out there 34 gallon pump and current style body's. I think if you put to much more Nitro in the engine than what the Nostalgia engines have(21 gallons) then the small amount of maintenance required would certainly grow considerably.It is a known fact with more power comes more maintenance and more cost. To have an idea of going a late style body and a 34 gallon pump is an idea that confuses me. Should we in turn create a class for the Dragster boys and tell them to go back to a smaller 34 gallon pump? I would like to here the answers from them. If ANDRA entertains this as an idea for the future i would question as to why it was implemented. As we stand at the moment Perth seems to be the only ones that have an interest in the current Top Fuel Funny cars. Unless the other promoters get involved more will disappear not unlike Allan and Cheryl Green and Chris and Kylie Stopanovich.
Dead or Alive? Don't ask the owners, ask the people making the decisions for the ever so bleak Funny Car Future.
Feel free to abuse comment or even pm me!
Regards
Ricky Steffens

Ricky,
      Thanks for the view from a racers perspective. I feel for you guys.All I can see is 2 dates for match racing over in Perth and bugger all else at any other track.I just don't get this Outlaw Funny Car deal. Just call it Nostalgia,what's the big deal over Outlaw? It seems more at Rocket Industries(?) insistence to call it that and not Nostalgia Funny Cars,due to a couple of body types on some of their cars.I thought there was some governance by ANDRA over what constitutes a nostalgia bracket and (modern)Nitro Funny Car bodies.Now there is this somewhere in between outlaw bracket.I'm not saying the cars won't put on a good show,I feel the bracket should fit within current rules,but I guess if someone has a ready to go show,the promoter/track will just look at it on its own merit.Interesting to note the Europeans have been running a Funny Car series this year with 5 events running concurrently with the FIA series,probably due to promoter Keith Bartlett.So good on him for having a go.There were 4 cars running in the Nitrolympx last weekend.The times weren't great,but at least they get track time.
Hope to see some Nitro Funny Cars in Victoria this decade.
Thanks
Andrew.

At the end of the day, if Cowin wants to run his own Nostalgia Series around Australia and has the car count to do it, more power to him. His format isn't encroaching on anyone else's, he books his own track time for his events and he isn't taking track time away from anyone else. The drag racing landscape in Australia is hardly crowded and there is room for a lot more growth and different series.

As Dan500 said above, why couldn't the current 3 or 4 modern-day FC's approach Cowin to appear at his Nostalgia show?
Seems like the most logical first step to me. Alternatively, the current 3 or 4 teams could band together, form a proposal and seek some sponsorship support as a group to cover their attendance costs as an incentive to the tracks. It's a start?I'm sure if there was some positive momentum generated from that, more teams would come to the party.
If that fails, perhaps it's time to stop pushing shit up hill and move to Top Alcohol FC where they ARE a part of the championship, or go Top Fuel? In a perfect world, there'd be room for infinite amounts of categories, because there are so many different ways you can get your kicks going one end of the track to the other super fast, but attempting to replicate what America has isn't always going to be successful...just wishful thinking.

Ever seen a Nostalgia Nitro funny car with header flames higher than the roof? I find them about as exciting to watch as a T/A car. That is what makes a top fuel funny car so awesome to watch and drive, ask Ricky or Christine and I am sure they will tell you. These cars are wild, exciting and spectacular to watch. Unfortunately they are also expensive to run. I don't know the answer to saving them but it would be a shame if the only way to see one is to go to the US. I have always said why not run them with dragsters as a combined Nitro bracket, surely then we would have full fields and the fans would get to see BOTH cars. If the T/F guys were to put the best interests of the sport first they would not object to it and the F/C racers would go with it even if the dragsters had a performance advantage(at first), at least they would finally have a bracket to race in and it may even encourage more teams who's first choice nitro car is a funny car.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.I hope my post was not taken the wrong way regarding the Nostalgia 21 gallon pump deal as they surely have a place in Australian drag racing. I am also heavily involved with one of those cars so i support those style cars as well as my own. We were talking about the life or death of a Current Nitro/Top Fuel Funny Car. There was a suggestion of something else being created between the two which supposedly included a bigger fuel pump and a later body that i do not agree with.
I believe the idea of running Top fuel Funny Cars with the Top Fuel Dragsters was suggested and was not accepted very well by some. I have not heard anything more about that at this time. Regarding me buying a dragster, I think not as we have spent enough where we are. If Christine and I have a change we will go back to racing our Super Charged outlaw car which is much more rewarding as far as racing goes. Group three handicap racing is the grass roots of drag racing and i still today have a strong passion for it.
So its back to the fact that the Life or Death of a Top Fuel Funny Car in Australia is in the hands of the promoters and the Governing body.
Ricky

Hi Ricky, would you guys run against the dragsters if the powers that be were to implement it? Surely there can be no negatives to running a combined bracket, it has worked in T/A. Just because they don't do it in the US doesn't mean it can't be done here. I would like to hear from any Nitro teams, dragster or funny car, about why it can't be done here. The way I see it, it can only be good for all involved.

Yes we would race with the dragsters and I am led to believe most of the other Funny Car owners would do the same. After all we just want to run our cars. A few of us have discussed this at length and all agree it would be a great idea but probably not a permanent fix. We assume it would allow time and encourage others to join the Funny Car group and when the numbers have grown there would be enough cars to create a separate bracket. I think the Dragsters would also benefit from this.It seems like a win win situation to me and the ones benefiting the most are the spectators with a better, bigger show. There have been plenty of meetings where more Fuel cars would have been a great idea.The proposal was to run the dragsters and funny cars together but to be fair a .300 handicap start to be given to the funny cars because of the weight difference. I am led to believe there were some who do not agree and I have heard no more since. I fear it is almost to late now, last year we had plenty of Funny cars and plenty of interested people. I don't think I can say the same today.
Rgds
Ricky

Ricky Steffens wrote:

Yes we would race with the dragsters and I am led to believe most of the other Funny Car owners would do the same. After all we just want to run our cars. A few of us have discussed this at length and all agree it would be a great idea but probably not a permanent fix. We assume it would allow time and encourage others to join the Funny Car group and when the numbers have grown there would be enough cash to create a separate bracket. I think the Dragsters would also benefit from this.It seems like a win win situation to me and the ones benefiting the most are the spectators with a better, bigger show. There have been plenty of meetings where more Fuel cars would have been a great idea.The proposal was to run the dragsters and funny cars together but to be fair a .300 handicap start to be given to the funny cars because of the weight difference. I am led to believe there were some who do not agree and I have heard no more since. I fear it is almost to late now, last year we had plenty of Funny cars and plenty of interested people. I don't think I can say the same today.
Rgds
Ricky

I don't mind for the time being to let Funnycars run with Top Fuel but not with .300 start. Heads up racing that way top fuel guys or girls got no-think to complain about (you still need to get your car down the track and now again you will see some funny cars win rounds). What Ricky said if the Nitro funny car joins Top fuel I only see more positives than negatives. But in future separate the class when theirs enough cars to do so.

Positives

1.Place where Nitro Funnycars can race
2.Andra doesn't need to find any extra prize-money
3.Larger field which would put a better show on for crowd.
4.Help to increase Funnycar count and eventually have their own class.
5.Might make the Top Fuel peoples get their cars running more consisted.
6.Might attract bigger crowds.
7.Might make a rival between racers which could help promote sport.
8.With funnycars added I don't think you every see a bad showing off nitro at meets again(does happen)
9.Will make Nitro class very interesting(lots of talk)how great if a funnycar win championship
10.Everyone one wins(racers,Andra,Sponsor,crowd,media)

Negatives

1.None(you tell me)

Edited by: max - 15-08-13 16:30:24

I agree Max, if T/F and F/C are to run together it has to be heads up no handicap might be a disadvantage to the F/C guys at first but as you say all have to get done the track so the F/C's will pick up wins. As time goes by with more track time they will also pick up their performance levels and keep the T/F guys honest. It can only be good for the sport, the only thing stopping a combined fuel bracket at the moment it would seem is ANDRA and the T/F teams. Interesting how you never hear from either on DNA.

There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
Shepherd Mark
Members Online: