Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Nitro Funny cars (DEAD or ALIVE)

Re: Nitro Funny cars (DEAD or ALIVE)

When are you guys going to get it, ANDRA won't make funny car a Pro class for one there is not enough of them,2 they blow up most runs,3 they are way to expensive to run in this country,4 no sponsorship drag racing in this country is very basic there is no money in it your choice if you want to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on a race car with no return,and if you think cowin would involve pro funny cars on his show I would think twice no one steals cowins thunder it's his show, his cars, and his track, getting of that just look at Rapisarda racing why do you think he racers in U.S because there is hardly any racing here,he has a Pro NHRA funny car sitting in his shed in Australia wasting away why!because theres no class for it,i raced for 7 years spent thousands and thousands of dollars on a alky outlaw dragster for what didn't even get a methion when I gave it up,buy a hot rod and go rodding it's way cheaper and you get the satifation when you win a trophy or two,like it or not that's the way it is!!

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

George you seem to be missing the point.
1. Not looking to get a NFC class introduced but a combined T/F and F/C Bracket.
2. You never seen a Top Fuel dragster blow up?
3. All nitro cars are expensive whether they be dragster of funny car
4. No sponsors are going to come on board until we can put on a good show with full fields and if that means combining T/F and F/C then so be it, everyone benefits.
What cars Graeme Cowin choices to race and how many is his business, what we are talking about here is the survival of nitro funny car and drag racing in general, everybody should be working together in a positive way to see that happens. With a combined bracket we might finally get full fields or even over subscribed fields where the fans get to see the 8 fastest cars and at no extra cost to the track. On subjects like this it would be good to hear from ANDRA or Top Fuel Australia to see where they stand on the issue of a combine bracket.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

I am not missing the point,you just explained what is needed,it won't happen it's been tried before I have seen it Drag racing is up and down not consistent like say V8 Supercars whitch have big sponsors,the only place you are going to see an 8 field funny car meeting is that of Cowins Outlaw nostalgia funny cars and that's it,I think racers are just sick of throwing money away, cowin can afford to do what he do's for his company Rocket and publicity and he loves the sport he doesn't need sponsors I ran without sponsors all them years my own money over $140,000 working man wages ,i tried to get sponsors they give you #### all money and want heaps back get my point!

George I don't want to see a funny car only bracket, I am talking about a combined T/F and F/C bracket where the tracks or Andra do not have to add another bracket, just let funny cars run with the dragsters. There are already Top Fuel rounds on the calender, just let the F/Cs run with the dragsters and hopefully more than 8 cars show up and the fans get to see the fastest 8 cars, be they dragster or funny car.

I think the time has come that the Dragsters and FC's run together for say a max of 2 yrs for both classes to get their numbers up and then divide them.

Poor Zamo this is not about you. You say that you don't get recognition. Weren't you a Gr3 car. Plenty of Gr1 cars that don't get recognition.

With regards to NFC. Run them heads up with TF. Wasn't there a rules proposal from the boss regarding this. What was the outcome?

I found a scan of Dragster Australia with the same argument people are having now.It's from June 1992!
Nothing has really changed in 20 years unfortunately.

http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/74/mini_DA341a.jpg

http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/74/mini_DA341C.jpg
Here is an article courtesy Dragster Australia October 1992.

http://dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/74/mini_DA347a.jpg

http://dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/74/mini_DA347b.jpg

http://dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/74/mini_DA347c.jpg

Edited by: AndyM - 16-08-13 15:58:57

I love Nitro Funny Cars , to me its an easy fix , run them with the dragsters , heads up , surely nobody would have a problem with that . All the benefits have already been stated by others and i cant see any negatives . Then if the Funny car guys don't show or if after a decent amount of time it hasn't grown , re evaluate then . No Brainer.

How is having the funny cars getting beaten consistently by 4 tenths a good thing for the class? They will never run against each other as they will always be in the bottom half of the field. If ANDRA forces this on the top fuel guys then they have to stand up to the top doorslammer guys and run pro mod.

Why not use the track champs to run the funny cars? There is virtually no spectators at these events so use them to draw a crowd and let them split the gate takings between themselves. That way the funny car guys can get a little bit of cash (more than a DNQ or first round loss) and the tracks can make some money on catering. Win win

Have a look and like my face book page 'Top Fuel Promotions'.

A bit slow now but once the season starts it will be the place on fb to catch up with what is going on in the 3 nitro classes. All positive, I promise!

They may be getting beat 4 tenths but at least they will be there and they will help make a field and they will add some excitement and a bit of variety. Would you rather watch the same 4 or 5 T/F cars races each other every meeting, that surely can't be good for the class.

I hear what your saying about the 4 tenths , da_bing , but in saying that how many times do we see Top Fuellers not making it down the track . I dont think the track champs is a solution , as you said there is nobody there , yes us die hards would go out and watch the NFC at these events but if they were put in with the National series they would be in front of a much larger and more importantly broader type of crowd. It seems to me that we are so worried at pissing off the Dragster guys , but this arrangement could surely at least be given a go at minimum. You never know , sometimes trying something might just work but it seems that change is frowned upon from some people in Drag Racing.

Pro mod and Doorslammer is a lot more difficult to "marry" at this stage but you never know . Anyhow Top Doorslammer is an extremely strong category on its own as it stands at the moment .

At the end of the day will the crowd benefit or be worse off ?? Every other form of sport is an "entertainment" industry , maybe we should start thinking along the same lines.

Edited by: loco - 16-08-13 20:53:06

da_bing wrote:

How is having the funny cars getting beaten consistently by 4 tenths a good thing for the class? They will never run against each other as they will always be in the bottom half of the field. If ANDRA forces this on the top fuel guys then they have to stand up to the top doorslammer guys and run pro mod.

Why not use the track champs to run the funny cars? There is virtually no spectators at these events so use them to draw a crowd and let them split the gate takings between themselves. That way the funny car guys can get a little bit of cash (more than a DNQ or first round loss) and the tracks can make some money on catering. Win win

If not run with top fuel where can they run,start a class for funnycars alone will be $50000 plus.Also what doorslammer got any-think to do with it?win win  is joining the classes together doesn't cost one cent to andra and the positives are so big to the negatives.Im sure the CEO of Andra put a rule pro-sable in for top fuel and funnycars to run together,is this true?

ps  sometimes need think to outside the box?

Edited by: max - 17-08-13 04:49:19

Rule submission from Andra CEO
http://www.andra.com.au/images/stories/ … _class.pdf

Edited by: max - 17-08-13 05:56:18

Lets say there is 7 tf cars and 3 funny cars show up with 3 qualifiers, most if not all of the fuel guys will get a full pull in atleast once which leaves 1 spot for a funny car. That means a max of 4 runs for 1 funny car and 3 for the other 2 and first round loser money for 1 car and zip for the rest. And who is to say the funny car guys will run all 3 sessions. Atleast at the track champs they can turn around in their own time and slot into the program and if they do a bit of advertising and get a few thousand through the gate atleast they can cover their tow money

Have a look and like my face book page 'Top Fuel Promotions'.

A bit slow now but once the season starts it will be the place on fb to catch up with what is going on in the 3 nitro classes. All positive, I promise!

Dont disagree with the above , but surely 3 qualifiers and at least a possibility of making some sort of field in front of a decent "qualifying" crowd is better than what they have at the moment ....Nothing.

Track champs is not a bad idea either but i still struggle to believe it could bring more awareness to the class , but hey anything is worth a go , plus i'm pretty sure most of the NFC would much rather be racing at national events with all the atmosphere and other big teams.

There are 5 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
NIAL8
Members Online: