Final day of high and lows for Rapisarda in Pomona

This article brought to you by:

Rapisarda Racing scored a superb come from behind first round win over mega budget Al-Anabi Team in first round then fell to privateer Bob Vandergriff in the quarter- finals at the final round of the NHRA championship season at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California.

The team disappointed not “to go more rounds” found consolation in what team patriarch Santo Rapisarda considers to be one of the teams finest  racing performances since joining the elite Top fuel series in 2010.

“We’ve been beyond first round before but this meeting will be seen as the turning point for the team and our racing in America” said an upbeat Rapisarda. “We were part of thequickest field in Top fuel history, made some strong laps and didn’t damage any parts over the four days.” I’m very proud of my boys Tino,Santo and the rest of the crew.”

In first round Team Rapisarda – like most of the nitro teams underestimated the track and near the 200 foot mark smoked the tyres then after three quick pedals Cory McClenathan claimed the win with a 4.33/458 km/h. “A win is a win and we will take it,” shrugged Santo.

The Cory “Mac” versus Vandergriff battle was on track for a photo finish with Cory snatching the lead by the Xmas tree then smoked the tyres approaching the 330 foot mark and handing Vandergriff the easiest of wins. Rapisarda with a 4.10/385 km/h.

“The way the car left the line I thought we were looking to take the win and to see the tyres go up in smoke  – well that  can happen. You never like to see it happen but that’s drag racing.” Said Rapisarda.

Next outing for Team Rapisarda is expected to be on home spoil at the Perth Motorplex on 30 November – 1 December 2012

Photo credit Christie Mokotupu.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine