Focus remains sharp for John Cannuli

This article brought to you by:

Double duty is no foreign concept to John Cannuli, a fierce competitor in both ANDRA Top Doorslammer and Top Alcohol.

The challenge of remaining focused has only increased for Cannuli in recent events, with wife Kirsten Cannuli-Tucker entering Pro Stock for the first time.

On race day, Cannuli said that both he and Kirsten realise concentration is important and focus on their own separate teams.

“When I’m at the track, I’m there to race and for her it’s the same deal,” he said. “I will try and go to watch her on every pass but at the end of the day we are there to race our cars.”

Cannuli has sent both of his race cars to Western Australia to compete this weekend at the 41st annual Goldenstates at Perth Motorplex, one of Australia’s premier motorsport venues.

He said the dual driving task has actually made him a more skilled racer in both his Biglift Cranes Chev Camaro Top Doorslammer and Top Alcohol Funny Car.

“Since I have been driving the second car it has given me double the track time and I am more aware of the track,” he said. “I have found it very promising and my crew guys have seen that in my driving.“The Camaro is my baby, I have always loved Top Doorslammers, but I love the pace of the Funny Car.”

After reaching the semi finals in Top Doorslammer at the Australian Nationals, Cannuli now has some confidence to move forward into the second round of the championship as far as the sedan goes.

“We don’t run a lock up clutch so we are playing with the fuel system and making it consistent,” he said.

“We just want a 5.9 to 6.0 second car and to get some more laps in. Hopefully by the end of the season we can start to edge into the 5.80s.”

The Funny Car on the other hand has proven more troublesome.

“At the Fuchs Winternationals the car was running flawlessly. We did some modifications to the supercharger and since then we have had dramas,” he said. “Hopefully we have fixed that and we can run some good numbers in Perth.”

Qualifying for the ANDRA Drag Racing Series featuring Top Doorslammer and Top Alcohol at Perth Motorplex begins at 6pm on Friday, with eliminations from 6pm Saturday.

Click here for more information about the 41st annual Goldenstates at Perth Motorplex.
Entry listSchedule

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine