Winterburn ready for super sedan eight mile hit-out

This article brought to you by:

Winterburn-1

Twenty-nine year old Daisy Hill resident Robert Winterburn will lead the local racers to Willowbank Raceway this weekend (Saturday 3 August) for the penultimate round of the 2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series.

Winterburn is just five points clear of fellow local Guy Henry at the top of the points ladder for the John Williams Auto Sales Super Street bracket, and with that gap being the largest between the leaders of all but one of the brackets for the 2013 Series currently, there is no disputing that the race for the overall Series trophy is very close at this point.

For Winterburn, who took the win at Roma’s last round of the four-round eighth mile challenge, the allure of the Series is all about mateship.

“That is definitely a big draw card for this Series, everyone is in it to have fun and it really brings together the best things about our sport by pulling together the on-track element with the social element,” said Winterburn, a carpenter who contests a VH Holden Commodore which was built with the JP Racing Eighth Mile Series in mind.

“For me, travelling around to the regional tracks is just great as it brings together my two biggest loves – camping and racing! And the atmosphere at these smaller facilities is really something that just adds to the experience.

“We all get in there and help each other out, it isn’t about racing for sheep stations as they say, it is about enjoying our sport and having fun, and that is what racing really is all about for me.”

While Winterburn may place priority on enjoying his racing in a relaxed manner, that doesn’t mean he isn’t keen to secure some accolades along the way.

“With Willowbank Raceway being my home track and the series now past the half-way point I am definitely inspired to try and do my best and see if I can clinch that Series trophy,” said Winterburn.

“I definitely have the car to go the distance, I just have to get myself into gear so to speak and make sure I am on my game!

Winterburn-2

“If I can get it done that will be really great, not just for me but also for the guys who help me out, like my solo crew member Phillip ‘Flip’ Goodrich and also Tony Whyatt of Pine Mountain Performance, Dave Morris of Ipswich Pool Supplies, Russell Weaver of Weavers Auto Restoration and Mark Stevens from Hooked on Trailers – they have all played a big part in getting me on track and keeping me up to speed so it would be great to be able to show them some good results.”

Organisers expect more than 100 racers to head to the Ipswich venue for round three of the Series which is currently in its third year as it continues to bring prestige racing to the regional facilities of South East Queensland. Joining Winterburn on track in the John Williams Auto Sales Super Street bracket will be racers from the FG Loy & Sons Earthmoving Old School, Diamond T Products Junior Dragster, RD Williams Excavator Parts Modified, Queensland Nameplate Group Modified Bike, Ice Slushee Super Sedan categories.

Willowbank Raceway’s round of the 2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series takes place on Saturday 3 August 2013. Gates open at 7.00am with qualifying from 9.00am to 2.00pm and racing from 3.00pm.

Following Willowbank Raceway’s round three on 3 August 2013, the 2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series will head to Benaraby Raceway in Gladstone for the final round of the 2013 Series on 28 September 2013.

For more information on the 2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series, including information on rules, how to enter and the points system, please visit to www.willowbankraceway.com.au

2013 JP Racing Eighth Mile Drag Racing Series
Calendar:
Round One – 9 February, 2013: Warwick Dragway, Warwick QLD
Round Two – 27 April, 2013: Ironbark Raceway, Roma QLD
Round Three – 3 August, 2013: Willowbank Raceway, Willowbank QLD
Final Round – 28 September, 2013: Benaraby Raceway, Gladstone QLD

Racing brackets:
FG Loy & Sons Earthmoving OLD SCHOOL Bracket
RD Williams Excavator Parts MODIFIED BRACKET
Ice Slushee SUPER SEDAN BRACKET
John William Auto Sales SUPER STREET BRACKET
Queensland Nameplate Group MODIFIED BIKE BRACKET