Forum

Altronics

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Front Engine Dragsters

Front Engine Dragsters

Front Engine Dragsters (FEDs) were at the pointy end of our sport from it’s very beginning and ruled as “Kings of the Sport” for decades. They came to epitomize the true spirit of hot rod,s modified to the extreme, for pure performance. On their way to dominating the dragstrips, FEDs also evolved into aesthetically pleasing form, combining beauty with brutal performance. They became known as “slingshots” and “diggers”, and everyone wanted one.
As the power developed by blown nitro engines increased, so did the challenge of driving slingshot dragsters. Eventually, rear engine dragsters took over as kings of the sport. Not only did the rear engine dragster move the driver clear of the impact area of the ever threatening engine and clutch explosions, they had better weight distribution and more options for effective aerodynamic devises. But FEDs did not die out.
By virtue of their unique appeal, FEDs continue to draw attention at dragstrips. They turn up with all kinds of power plants from 4 cylinder injected gas burners to blown fuel hemis. These diggers provide a driving challenge for drivers and easily draw the eye of onlookers.
Let’s hear about the FEDs out there!!! This thread invites owners and drivers of Front Engine Dragsters to tell us about what they’ve got.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Front Engine Dragsters

http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/3483/mini_Fossil-Fueler.jpg

http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/3483/mini_at-the-quarry.jpg
What about some photos?

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

He's my fed that's going west.
http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/1459/mini_image.jpg

Attachments:

There were quite a few FED's running in modified on the weekend at Round 3 of the NSW champs at SD. A few interesting 6 cylinder cars that were holding off the big boys as well.

I wouldn't mind building and running one myself but I don't have the first clue of where to go.

I never saw this car in the flesh, but understand it has quite a history. One thing for sure, it is a beautiful car. I hope to see it, maybe even line up against it, sometime on the track.
Cheers
Von zoom

The slingshot diggers with six-packs have gotta be one of the coolest contraptions ever to hit the dragstrip. I reckon they are the best bang for the buck going out there. Thanks for the reply Mick!

Yes they really bring the nostalgia back into it too, for cheap.

The one I saw on the weekend was running a 265 Hemi, it ran a best of 10.5 I think, which is bloody good without a turbo

I'm in the process of building a FED to run in Supercharged Outlaws. Going to be running a 511ci Hemi, 10" crower clutch and a 3 speed lenco. Can't wait to get the car up and running. Ya can't beat seeing the smoke bellowing off the tyres as you roll thorugh the water box. It's the best feeling ever.

Well I have a seldom seen FED. I raced one at AIR Whyalla and Heathcote in the 1980's  and have rebuilt an other old car over the last few years. Only parts from the original are 5' of the rear of the chassis and some steering bits. By far my favorite are the little stripped down no frills 155 and 160" WB injected nitro burning Junior fuel cars of the 1960's.. I haven't had a whole lot of time to go racing this year, and but hope to soon. I have to travel 3-4 hours each way.  Some days it just seems to get away from me money wise even at my level but the fire's still burning deep inside so I hope to get some track time sooner or later.

http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/1128/mini_DSC04051.JPG

http://www.dragnews.com.au/images/agorapro/attachments/1128/mini_DSC04343.JPG

BRAVO Tony!
I take it you are based way down south somewhere! That is a great car you have built there, and I'm it will provide a load of fun for you. I also agree about the early Junior Fuel diggers - they were the essence! Cheers!!!!

There are 3 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
WilliamEcosy
Members Online:
Guests Online:

Online: 
There are no members online

aeroflow ofp

Rocket ofp

vpw-new-logo

logo for Drag News

grudgekings

dnm21cover

Single Issue  Subscription

Would you like to contact Drag News? Send an email to our team by clicking This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. We'd love to hear from you.

Would you like to advertise on Australia's most popular drag racing site? Contact Drag News Australia This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for our rate sheet or to discuss opportunities.

DNA's T&C's