Dale shifts gear from two wheels to four

This article brought to you by:

dalegummow

Modified racer Dale Gummow says she is getting used to the idea of racing on four wheels following her change from racing motorcycles to dragsters last year.

Gummow, who races alongside husband Kevin (still on two wheels), said having raced in the Modified Bike category for most of her racing career, it was quite different stepping into her ‘Memphis Belle’ dragster.

“I think I have coped quite well with the transition,” she said. “While feeling safer with a roll cage, the whole concept of being harnessed in was different to say the least.”

While a motorcycle sometimes needs to be muscled around on the track, dragsters tend to be about finesse.

“I spoke with (Supercharged Outlaws racer) Craig Allison about driving a dragster and he gave me one good piece of advice – never get complacent,” she said. “Being focused is a big part of racing and winning and competing with the best racers in the country in the highly competitive field of Modified is no easy feat.”

Gummow reached her first final in Modified as the last round of the Perth Motorplex track championship in what she said was a huge achievement for herself and her crew.

WA’s biggest drag racing event, the Westernationals, is now coming up on February 28 to March 2 and Gummow wants the winner’s trophy that comes as a reward.

“With the Westernationals being such a prestigious event there is no doubt that come Sunday afternoon the ‘Memphis Belle’ dragster will be at the pointy end of the field and hopefully with some good (national series) points under my belt we can head east to take on the best in the country,” she said. “My greatest wish is that Kevin and myself can win at the same meet.”

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine