Tommy Johnson Jr to replace Capps in Sydney

This article brought to you by:

tommyandronlowres

One of the biggest stars of last year’s Sydney Dragway Aeroflow Outlaw Nitro Funny Car event will be replaced by one of drag racing’s most famous names, with Tommy Johnson Jr filling the boots of Ron Capps for the ‘Night of Fire’ Funny Car show at Sydney Dragway on November 29.

Johnson Jr was excited to confirm his appearance at the iconic Sydney event.

“I can’t wait to get to Australia and drive Graeme Cowin’s LA Hooker funny car. I am and always will be a ‘Funny Car guy’ and I’m excited to get down under and put on a great show for the Australian fans in Sydney,” he said.

“I have loved Australia both times I have been there and I appreciate the opportunity really to race with Graeme (Cowin) and his guys.”

Tommy will take the wheel of the L.A. Hooker, perhaps the most famous car in the Aeroflow Outlaw Nitro Funny Car show.

L.A. Hooker is a tribute to one of the first American Funny Cars to ever be brought to Australia and was driven by some of the biggest names in the sport at the time – Jim White, Tom McEwen and Australian’s Bob Shepherd and Graeme Cowin.

Capps, although disappointed about not being able to make the event, was quick to praise Tommy Johnson Jr.

“I have had some situations come up of a business nature that mean I’m not going to be able to drive in Australia,” explained a disappointed Capps.

“But you couldn’t get anyone better than Tommy to drive that car. I know first hand that the guys that crew down there will put together a very strong combination, so Tommy will have his hands full getting that hot-rod down the track.”

Series manager Steve Bettes said they were glad that Tommy has chosen to come across for the event given Ron’s situation.

“This event is going to be huge and to have someone like Tommy running with us is icing on the nitro burning, stunt riding, wheelstanding cake,” he said.

“There will be new merchandise, new cars and obviously some new drivers too. Lock it in the diary now – it’s going to be huge!”

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine