Fuchs Winternationals kick off under blue skies

This article brought to you by:

AE4R2515

Day one of the Fuchs Winternationals – the biggest show in drag racing in the Southern Hemisphere – has been completed in picture perfect weather at Willowbank Raceway today.

More than 500 racers will return to what is Queensland’s premier drag racing facility tomorrow, with all brackets – including the professional Top Fuel, Top Alcohol, Wallace Bishop Jewellers Top Doorslammer, Top Fuel Motorcycle, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle classes – on-track for qualifying. The action will then continue with further qualifying on Saturday ahead of racing on Sunday.

Taking to the track today for qualifying were competitors from the Super Street, Junior Dragster, Modified Bike, Super Sedan, Top Sportsman, Super Gas, Modified, Supercharged Outlaws, Competition Bike and Super Compact brackets.

AE4R4492AE4R4508AE4R4524

Enjoying a wild ride today in Supercharged Outlaws was 43 year old Greg Ward of Mount Nathan, with the Company Director of RAS International dramatically crashing his RAS Altered first into the right hand side wall and then the left, rolling onto his roof and then back onto his wheels as he traversed from one side of the track to the other. Ward was unhurt, but his dragster will not compete again.

“It just left the startline hard and turned hard right into the wall, rolled on impact onto its roof and then got back onto its wheels as it crossed across the track before impacting on the left hand side wall, rolling to a stop after that,” said Ward, who had started from the right hand lane.

“The car is unfortunately written off, but I am completely okay and so I guess we are off now to find a new car so we can come back and fight another day.

“I will be here all weekend even though I won’t be racing as my company runs all the big screens out here at the track – I would rather be racing of course, but at least I can still be here enjoying all the action!”

Willowbank Raceway CEO Tony Manson said today had provided a perfect start to what is the 48th running of the Fuchs Winternationals event.

“Today has been a great way to start, with perfect weather, and plenty of racers running hard across the day,” said Manson.

“We have had non-stop action here since 11.00am today and from tomorrow we get into the full-day programs with action from 8.00am tomorrow including the pro categories at 3.00pm – if you can, I highly recommend coming down and feeling these guys shaking the earth with their powerful machines, you won’t be disappointed!”

The Fuchs Winternationals action continues tomorrow (Saturday 5 June) with qualifying for all brackets including the Pro Series racers of Top Fuel, Top Alcohol, Wallace Bishop Jewellers Top Doorslammer, Top Fuel Motorcycle, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Motorcycle. For more information, schedules and entry lists please visit willowbankraceway.com.au

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine