Father-Son looking for championship one-two

This article brought to you by:

air140315 017

Father/Son duo Graeme and Jordan Spencer (Diggers Rest, Victoria) are looking forward to ANDRA Championship Drag Racing returning to Calder Park Raceway later this season.

Spencer Sr, the 2015 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series Super Gas Champion, is still racing the very same Commodore he flat towed along Calder Freeway to the 1999 Australian Nationals – an event he won his very first ANDRA Gold Christmas Tree.

“The car was brand new,” said Spencer. “It was its first race meeting. In fact it was the first time the car went down the track. It (flat towing the car on the freeway) still gets spoken about now (laughs).”

The Australian Nationals will return to Calder Park for the first time since 2001 in the New Year. But there is much racing to be done between now and January 23-24.

Graeme will be accompanied by his 14 year old son Jordan racing in the Summit Racing Equipment Junior Dragster category. They will first compete at the East Coast Nationals in Sydney this weekend before travelling to Portland, Victoria for Round 3 of the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series and Round 5 in Mildura (December 4-5).

For both drivers it’s a chance to rack up early season points as Graeme looks to go back to back while Jordan tries to wrestle the Junior crown from Team Mopar Australia teammate Eden Ward.

“Last time I got number one, racing didn’t go well for two seasons afterwards,” explains Graeme. “I’m hoping I will be better prepared this time but I will just take each meeting as it comes.”
air140315 288

Jordan maintains a similar approach and will just be happy to see another teammate win in the first of a multi year deal that sees Summit Racing Equipment as titles right sponsor for the Junior Dragster bracket.

“I will give it my best shot to win this seasons title,” adds Jordan. “It was great to see Eden Ward win the title for Team Mopar Australia with me claiming the fifth spot. With five current Team Mopar Australia Junior Dragsters I believe that our team will be well placed again.

“It’s good to see a huge sponsor get behind us Junior Dragster racers. I was fortunate to win the first Silver Christmas Tree at Portland in January when Summit came on board as the new sponsor for Sportsman racing. We are the future of drag racing and it’s great to get that support and recognition.”

Entering his third season competing nationally, Jordan still has three years of racing ahead in the Summit Racing Equipment Junior Dragster ranks. When he turns 17 he hopes to move into Group Two driving rotary and turbo vehicles.

“I’m learning about them slowly by watching tutorials on YouTube and watching different teams working on the cars in the pits.

“I’ve been told to get a good education and job and fund my own racing. I have three full years left up until end of 2018 when I turn 17.”

The Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series will feature at the East Coast Nationals in Sydney this weekend November 7-8.

The Series will then travel Fuchs South Coast Raceway in Portland Victoria on November 14-15.

For more information about the East Coast Nationals Please click here. For more information about the South Coast 660 please click here.

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine