Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Easter round whats going on?

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Luke Nieuwhof wrote:

Donato I think Archie may have been having a bit of a joke smile

Yeah, I realized that after. Here is a link for that track though:
http://hypoxiadragway.com/

Luke Nieuwhof wrote:

Donato - we may have to question what international standard is. They might not be super tracks, but do they need to be?

My view of an international standard track means that the facility offers fans and racers the best possible venue for drag racing. A 1/4 mile strip, with appropriate run off, concrete walls all the way down, best possible racing surface, good maintenance, appropriate viewing area for spectators (mounds or seats), decent pit area, decent return road, water and electricity available for teams, decent toilets, parking facilities, appropriate lighting, also good presentation of the facility, good layout and design... and what ever else makes a decent venue for racing. PM and SD are world class facilities that I would say are way above the standard. Willowbank would be in third below the top two, Hidden Valley would be up there as an international standard facility and Palmyra could possibly make the cut (I am not sure what that track is like), but the rest around the country (I am talking 1/4 mile capable facilities) just wouldn't make the cut. So I am not saying that the tracks need to be like PM or SD, but they need to offer what they can offer.

Follow my Australian Drag Racing History pages:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AustralianDragRacingHistory
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/ausdraghistory
https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-19/s150x150/10932104_661024330700510_1831877871_a.jpg

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

You're pretty right there Donato in what makes international. Only four in Australia off the top of my head are Sydney, Perth, Willowbank and Hidden Valley. Next level down are National like Palmyra and Alice Springs which are speed limited as they don't have full lengths walls.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Jay Jukes wrote:

Next level down are National like Palmyra and Alice Springs which are speed limited as they don't have full lengths walls.

Maybe if they could get full length barriers then the Pro Series could run at those venues. More tracks means more rounds, more exposure, more fans and more racers. Not sure what sort of crowd Alice Springs would pull, but Palmyra might be able to get a decent crowd. I think it would be a perfect facility for Top Doorslammer and Pro Stock if they could sort out the barriers, maybe even Top Fuel since the Nitro Funny Cars have raced there before.

https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-19/s150x150/10932104_661024330700510_1831877871_a.jpg

Not 100% sure but didn't Palmyra did extend wall all the way down,does anyone knows?Does anyone agree if ANDRA was able to give out grants or loans to these regional tracks so it is possible to extend wall,upgrade sand trap or what ever need to be  done for them to hold  a pro round at their track,would the racers(andra) accept that.Maybe like a loan and what ever profit the meet makes ANDRA receives or ANDRA could upgrade track and because they did that they could take some ownership from track(percentage of ownership),Didnt ANDRA gave Drag lmt a large sum of money(loan)If true why couldn't they do the same to these other tracks,so they can run pro rounds. NHRA  owns quite a few tracks is it possible ANDRA can also? Then drag racing could have a real national championship lol.Could any these be possible for ANDRA to do?

ian smith wrote:

NHRA  owns quite a few tracks is it possible ANDRA can also?

The NHRA is worth hundreds of millions, probably more, ANDRA could never afford to buy their own tracks. I doubt whether they could afford to loan tracks money, but whats the point of loaning tracks money if they have to pay it back? They might as well go to the bank. A grant would be different, but again, I doubt if they could afford to dish out money to tracks.

ian smith wrote:

NHRA  owns quite a few tracks is it possible ANDRA can also? Then drag racing could have a real national championship lol.Could any these be possible for ANDRA to do?

Ian, looks like your going on again about ANDRA buying/setting up tracks. Didn't you get pillared on Dragster.com.au for the same thing twelve months ago?
Just how much money do you think ANDRA has???????

Let me do the math for you:

New international class track - cost to buy land and build track and facilities: approx $80,000,000
Average amount of ANDRA members in a good year: 4000
Price per member to build an international class track: $20,000

Now, how many ANDRA members are going to cough up $20,000 to build a track, that may not even be in their state? I sure as hell wouldn't cough up $20,000 to build a track in Melbourne when I live in Perth.

Now say government gets on board and says they will provide the land free and pay for half the set up costs of the track. Sounds pretty good. So it may only cost ANDRA $30,000,000. Great you say! But hang on, that's still $7500 per member. Geez, and I thought the DRDF was expensive!

Hmmmmm, what about sponsors? Well, if my company was paying $1,000,000 or more to get on board, I would want a pretty good return on that investment. But do I see that happening with drag racing in Australia in the near future? Nup.

So in Summary Mr Smith, your flogging a dead horse, ANDRA is a governing body, they do not have the funds or the mandate to build, buy or own tracks or any other asset. The only way its going to happen is if government steps in or someone with extremely deep pockets steps in to do it. Dont hold your breath on that happening.

I think ANDRA is not in a position right now fully owning a track right now but in the future why not?My motto is don't settle for medicor go for the impossible.Andra is no longer a governing body,they are now promoter and company.Nhra is huge but I cant see why not Andra cant mimic how they running Nhra.Andra could hold easily 8-10 pro meets a year with a least 6 different tracks.At each meet you should expect Andra to earn about $100000,thats already 1 million profit a year,  than add sponser for series plus tv(thats a joke right now) you should be looking for  another 1 million a year for that.

This only my opinion,Andra should be looking to make around 1-2 million profit a year and for company that size with a major sporting series that could be achievable.Why cant Andra at this moment try to buy shares off these smaller regional tracks. So they can upgrade track and hold pro rounds so Andra can have a Australia wide series.  In the future why not they cant own a track out right(They are company now and that's what company's do)Aim big for the future and I cant see why not Andra not owning a track sometime in future.This what I would be aiming for next year and I would do any think to make this possible,if not achieve then I would have fail the sport.This is what I like to achieve if I was in control off Andra for next year and in no means I applying for Andra to do this they have a very hard task ahead to bring Andra to a national major sporting series and just began as  new company .

ian smith wrote:

I think ANDRA is not in a position right now fully owning a track right now but in the future why not?My motto is don't settle for medicor go for the impossible.Andra is no longer a governing body,they are now promoter and company.Nhra is huge but I cant see why not Andra cant mimic how they running Nhra.Andra could hold easily 8-10 pro meets a year with a least 6 different tracks.At each meet you should expect Andra to earn about $100000,thats already 1 million profit a year,  than add sponser for series plus tv(thats a joke right now) you should be looking for  another 1 million a year for that.

This only my opinion,Andra should be looking to make around 1-2 million profit a year and for company that size with a major sporting series that could be achievable.Why cant Andra at this moment try to buy shares off these smaller regional tracks. So they can upgrade track and hold pro rounds so Andra can have a Australia wide series.  In the future why not they cant own a track out right(They are company now and that's what company's do)Aim big for the future and I cant see why not Andra not owning a track sometime in future.This what I would be aiming for next year and I would do any think to make this possible,if not achieve then I would have fail the sport.This is what I like to achieve if I was in control off Andra for next year and in no means I applying for Andra to do this they have a very hard task ahead to bring Andra to a national major sporting series and just began as  new company .

$1m to $2m a year profit for ANDRA?????????????
Smithy, lay off the crack pipe, you are starting to hallucinate.
You seem to forget that the tracks make the profit (if any), not ANDRA.
ANDRA is a governing body! Pure and simple.
It may be run under a company structure, but its purpose is to govern the rules, regulation, safety and some promotion of the sport. It doesn't get a slice of the profits. ANDRA members will not be getting a dividend.
Pay the fee and get an ASIC extract for ANDRA, you will see that its effectively a shelf company with hardly any paid up capital. It is only now set up as a company structure to minimise tax and enable the sport to be run legally in all states and territories and to provide a more open an transparent structure. Before, it was incorporated in SA as a basically a club, just like a local sporting club or footy club.
It's not a trading company that exists to make a profit.

So Andra is only a governing body.What was drag lmt then were  they promoters of series and trying to make a profit out of drag racing if so did Andra took  their place.If you have a series like Andra have you would like to make some money out of series not just governing it lol.

Has anybody bothered to Google Earth Adelaide "International" Raceway lately or even Calder Park, AIR has a house across the road from the beach. If there was an incident like Steve Reed had when he ran full throttle into the sand trap, it's very possible that someone could be watching the replay in that lounge room, I don't think Air is a good idea.

Calder on the other hand could actually extend their braking area, It goes into the parking lot, but that is just a matter of shifting a few things around. Bobs got plenty of money, make him the right offer, and I'm pretty sure, that something, something could be worked out. Calder Park was once the worlds fastest black top Drag Strip. It really was a great venue, then, I think, Bobs brother ran the place, while Bob had some health problems, and screwed everything up.

1 to 2 million profit pa...... 80.000.000 million dollar venue, hahahahahaha do the math Ian

I heard that Australia national basketball(nbl) made a net income of nearly 1 million.So if Andra have a 8-10 rounds for a series and as it could be a major sport in Aus,surely Andra  be a least looking for a 1-2 million profit a year or am I missing somethink?

Smithy,
Read these paragraphs, straight off the ANDRA website and see if you can spot the important phrase. If you can see the important bit, then maybe you can stop all the "ANDRA should do this, ANDRA should do that" drivel.

"Malcolm Bulley is currently working with the National Control Council to develop a brand new company based constitution meeting the needs and strategies of ANDRA and the requirements of the Corporations Act 2001. Once the National Control Council is happy with the draft, the document will be posted on the ANDRA website and other information on the changes and the voting opportunities for ANDRA Full Members will be circulated.

Why is the change necessary? Since 1989, ANDRA has been incorporated as an association in South Australia. For many years that was appropriate but it now presents some limits on the ability of ANDRA to operate at the national level. The Australian Sports Commission prefers the limited company model for national sporting bodies and the new status will allow us to continue as a "not for profit" organisation while having a more formal presence in all States and Territories."

In fact, why don't you click here: http://www.andra.com.au/corporate/andra … cture.html  and spend some time reading all about the new ANDRA, so you can further your vast knowledge of this organisation, which you comment on frequently, but which you probably aren't even a member of.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lets see if I got this right,as a "not for profit" organisation ,

This has now officially got 2 b the biggest forum yet !!!

Much thanks to everyone who is contributing.

Karl Kruizer wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, lets see if I got this right,as a "not for profit" organisation ,

Wow! you found it! You can now be declared an official ANDRA expert. I daresay Smithy will find some way to criticise that too :-(

There is 1 guest and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
David
Members Online: