Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Sign up for more!

Brought to you by


Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Easter round whats going on?

Re: Easter round whats going on?

1 - 2 Million profit per year (hehehehehe) $80,000,000 venue, a healthy 6 to 10% interest rate, "ANDRA would be paying this off for the next, um, ah, the annual interest payment alone would be millions more than any profits you speak of.

Yeah lets build 6 of 'em.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Hang on, to buy something, build something, run something, you need money. For a dragstrip, you need lots of money. To get that money, you either need profit or for someone to give you the money.

Profit??? didnt someone mention ANDRA is run "not for profit"???????????????? Man, how would it work then? How is ANDRA gonna build those $80m tracks?

Here's my plan, the charge each racer $20,000 per year to be a member and a $5000 levy per entry. Then they charge spectators $1000 to get in to watch. The track gets $10, ANDRA keeps the $990. Special ANDRA hot dog stands could be set up at each track, $500 for a hot dog, $250 for a coke. Then sell the TV rights like the AFL does for say $400m and hey presto, we have a shiny new track in all the states and territories and everything is sweeeeeeet!!!!! It will be just like the NHRA!!!!!
What do you reckon Smithy? Its the least ANDRA could do, after all, its all their fault that the crowds have dropped off and the sport isnt meeting your lofty expectations, isnt it?????

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Venue creation, is gonna take some serious puckering up, and scuffed knees, Government assistance looks almost inevitable, (this is where the puckering and sore knees come in) land close to a city ~ almost impossible, large crowds at a distant venue ~ hard to get, some-one crazy enough to invest huge $$$ ~ not impossible but very hard to find.

Cold fusion is gonna be easier than this.

I suspect we have to start thinking bigger than a national level here and, we really need to start thinking "International" level, I don't think F1 could ever be reduced to national competition, for starters the advertisers would run a mile, as their product would only have localized coverage. Scale it down and the whole thing would collapse.

The opposite should also be true for Drag Racing, scale it up with an international event(s), and we might have a fighting chance of getting the Government to pay attention. For those of you who poo poo this without thought, I think any other nation on earth who have Drag Racing on their calenders would also have to start thinking this way, if only to save their local competition

Although, played on an international level, the NHRA would probably wanna take over over control, (like they do every-thing else), I can see so many, many pro's and cons to this whole scenario, for Drag Racing to continue especially at the Top Fuel  / NFC end of things, it really does have to go that way, simply because of the costs involved with running these high end cars, and the size of the sponsors that have to be involved, of course the "dog" would have to be let off the leash, and a return to full 1 /4 mile racing would be the only way to go

Hey, this is hurting my head, as it would take pages and pages to explain, and my computers running out of ink.

Over to you Mike, Donny ...................................... Ian!

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Go Mike !!!

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Mike Lanigan wrote:

Hang on, to buy something, build something, run something, you need money. For a dragstrip, you need lots of money. To get that money, you either need profit or for someone to give you the money.

Profit??? didnt someone mention ANDRA is run "not for profit"???????????????? Man, how would it work then? How is ANDRA gonna build those $80m tracks?

Here's my plan, the charge each racer $20,000 per year to be a member and a $5000 levy per entry. Then they charge spectators $1000 to get in to watch. The track gets $10, ANDRA keeps the $990. Special ANDRA hot dog stands could be set up at each track, $500 for a hot dog, $250 for a coke. Then sell the TV rights like the AFL does for say $400m and hey presto, we have a shiny new track in all the states and territories and everything is sweeeeeeet!!!!! It will be just like the NHRA!!!!!
What do you reckon Smithy? Its the least ANDRA could do, after all, its all their fault that the crowds have dropped off and the sport isnt meeting your lofty expectations, isnt it?????

Whats this 80 million dragstrip Perth was built for 18 million with speedway about 10 years ago.So now I recond you can build a international dragway for 30 million(80 million come on)charging  $20000 to each member come on,now who smoking?

What I was trying say is like 8-10 round series at a least 6 different tracks(perth,willowbank,sydney,Air,darwin and calder)Which Andra dont own,where did I say own 6 tracks lol.At those pro rounds at track a company or who every running that series, you has a business would be looking at a profit of $100000 if not why would you be putting on these events.I was saying maybe in future andra could own a track in 5-10 years lol.So I never said build a over price 80 million dragway I said if Andra have a true 8-10 national series I (if Andra) be looking for a net income of around 1-2 million.Also nhra is a non-organization company they make some handy income

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

ian smith wrote:

Mike Lanigan wrote:

Hang on, to buy something, build something, run something, you need money. For a dragstrip, you need lots of money. To get that money, you either need profit or for someone to give you the money.

Profit??? didnt someone mention ANDRA is run "not for profit"???????????????? Man, how would it work then? How is ANDRA gonna build those $80m tracks?

Here's my plan, the charge each racer $20,000 per year to be a member and a $5000 levy per entry. Then they charge spectators $1000 to get in to watch. The track gets $10, ANDRA keeps the $990. Special ANDRA hot dog stands could be set up at each track, $500 for a hot dog, $250 for a coke. Then sell the TV rights like the AFL does for say $400m and hey presto, we have a shiny new track in all the states and territories and everything is sweeeeeeet!!!!! It will be just like the NHRA!!!!!
What do you reckon Smithy? Its the least ANDRA could do, after all, its all their fault that the crowds have dropped off and the sport isnt meeting your lofty expectations, isnt it?????

Whats this 80 million dragstrip Perth was built for 18 million with speedway about 10 years ago.So now I recond you can build a international dragway for 30 million(80 million come on)charging  $20000 to each member come on,now who smoking?

What I was trying say is like 8-10 round series at a least 6 different tracks(perth,willowbank,sydney,Air,darwin and calder)Which Andra dont own,where did I say own 6 tracks lol.At those pro rounds at track a company or who every running that series, you has a business would be looking at a profit of $100000 if not why would you be putting on these events.I was saying maybe in future andra could own a track in 5-10 years lol.So I never said build a over price 80 million dragway I said if Andra have a true 8-10 national series I (if Andra) be looking for a net income of around 1-2 million.Also nhra is a non-organization company they make some handy income

$18m to build the motorplex 12 years ago? Thats just the BUILD cost, the land was provided by the government. Man, I bought a 3 bedroom house 20min from the Perth CBD in 2002 for $103,000. That same crappy house sold last year for $460,000.
To buy a parcel of suitable land, within 100km of Melbourne and build a international class drag strip for $30m?????? Bloody hell, I am glad your not my accountant. Perths new 60,000 seat stadium is budgeted to cost over a billion to build. Thats 1000 million. Docklands stadium holds 50,000 and cost $300+ million to build in the mid to late nineties. Try building it for that now. Times your budgeted cost by 3 and you will be closer to the mark.

But the one thing you conveniently seem to disregard in all your constant ANDRA bashing, you know, ANDRA should do this, ANDRA should do that is that they are a.........................................NOT FOR PROFIT GOVERNING BODY ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY DONT MAKE  A PROFIT & PAY FOR NEW TRACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do you reckon they are going to make a $1m to $2m profit a year from 4000 members? I am pretty sure they dont get a cut of ticket sales at the national events, I am pretty sure they dont get all the entry fees from the racers, I am pretty sure they dont get a slice of the concession stand money either, I am pretty sure that paying for insurance for 4000 members is pretty expensive too so where is this massive profit coming from?

And by the way, my plan for charging members $20,000 a year membership - WAS A JOKE, you know, humour, making fun etc etc etc.

Anyway, I am making a real turkey of myself on here trying to get this concept through your thick skin, so I give up. Bash ANDRA all you like and keep clinging to your fairytale "why cant we be like the NHRA" view of the sport.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

And one last thing from me before I crawl away in shame at the dumb crap I have posted up here - I am not an ANDRA lover. They have made some serious mistakes with this sport, such as getting involved with the drag limited deal, the TV program and the way it has been funded and the rulebook, with some wierd restrictions and class requirements that should have been corrected in the eighties but are still there year after year holding back technology and natural growth in our sport
But what I do think is they are doing a reasonable job of governing our sport on a whole. With all the turmoil, the sport still exists and hasnt collapsed. There are new people involved who most members trust to get things back on track. Its not AFL, where money flows in and they sit around working out how to spend it. Drag racing is a tough game to keep a lid on. Its a dangerous sport with a lot of ego involved. I dont envy anyone who is involved with ANDRA getting their hands dirty day to day. We shouldnt expect the governing body to be the promoters, financiers and bricks and mortar supporters of our sport. They govern it, pure and simple.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Mike, keep the sense of humor mate, God knows this site needs it, I have been trying for ages to add something light to some very dark points of view, and for the life of me, no-body seems to get it, so don't give up, I saw the humor as soon as I read it. I got really upset on this site once, and got nasty in some of my comments, And these buggers kept deleting my posts. But, just like an addict I couldn't stay away, and now I just type away putting in my 2 cents worth, my Doctor says it's good therapy

Anyway I think you might have upset Ian, as I couldn't understand his last post, the more "right" he is , the harder he is to understand.

Ian, I'm begging mate! Could you please proofread what you have written and take the time to correct mistakes, use you're spellchecker. and stop writing this muddled pidgeon English non- educated garble. Please check what you have written ~ 'cause Mate, you really sound like you have no command of the English language at all. Please, you're opinion's are valued, and when I can understand them, I enjoy reading them.

Oh, and before you get all insulted about a post, please think about whether, it's an insult, or if some-one is taking the piss, to get a rise or, could they be just offering some constructive criticism

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

One thing I know for certain though is that North America has a population of about 315,000,000 people and we have about 23,000,000. So for us to be at the level we are with drag racing in this country is a pretty good achievement so far. I think that building new tracks will always be up to private investors or the Government, it always has been and always will be, it is way too hard for ANDRA to get like the NHRA. Someone who did the research a few years ago said that the NHRA have 33,000,000 fans, which is about 10% of their population (almost 1.5 times the whole population of our country).
If we could get the same percentage of population of Australia to have an interest in drag racing than that would be about 2,300,000 people. That is only about 7% the amount of fans that the NHRA has. The numbers are just too hard to play with here is Australia, It will be impossible to get drag racing as big as the NHRA here.
The sport was most popular back in the late 90s to early 00s, and if it went back to the way it was then I think we would be in a great position. This could take years though because tracks in Adelaide and Melbourne would be essential for that to happen.
All I know is that the people involved with the tracks should worry about their side of things (which is nothing to do with ANDRA), promoting track championships to get locals behind their racers and tracks which is half the reason why drag racing was so popular ten years ago. And ANDRA should worry about governing the sport and getting the ANDRA Championship back on top. Tracks should not have to rely on ANDRA rounds to get crowds and people interested in the sport.

Follow my Australian Drag Racing History pages:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AustralianDragRacingHistory
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/ausdraghistory
https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-19/s150x150/10932104_661024330700510_1831877871_a.jpg

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Mike Lanigan wrote:

I dont envy anyone who is involved with ANDRA getting their hands dirty day to day. We shouldnt expect the governing body to be the promoters, financiers and bricks and mortar supporters of our sport. They govern it, pure and simple.

Andra now are governing ,promoters,financiers they are every think but track owners,they are no longer just a governing body any more.so from now on expect andra do more than governing lol

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Mike Lanigan wrote:

$18m to build the motorplex 12 years ago? Thats just the BUILD cost, the land was provided by the government. Man, I bought a 3 bedroom house 20min from the Perth CBD in 2002 for $103,000. That same crappy house sold last year for $460,000.
To buy a parcel of suitable land, within 100km of Melbourne and build a international class drag strip for $30m?????? Bloody hell, I am glad your not my accountant. Perths new 60,000 seat stadium is budgeted to cost over a billion to build. Thats 1000 million. Docklands stadium holds 50,000 and cost $300+ million to build in the mid to late nineties. Try building it for that now. Times your budgeted cost by 3 and you will be closer to the mark.

So couldn't  andra get a grant of government for land,like the other tracks.Building a stadium to a dragway is completely different(dont know if you in the building industry)but a stadium is way more complex than dragway lol  so  I still say you can build a dragway for around 30 million and doesn't  have to be up to standed of perth (the race surface should be)but every think else doesn't so yea 30 million easy

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Maybe Andra can build a dragway in Newcastle in 5-10 years time,isnt that 6th largest population in Australia surely that will be a good market for dragracing?Yours saying that Andra nether in their life time cant build or own a dragway.If I was running a company that will be the ultimate goal.But at this moment Andra has way more things to worrie about then building dragways.Newcastle,Newcastle,Newcastle,Newcastle that will be a great place for a new dragway.If we see one in Newcastle in 4-6 years time drag racing will be doing quite fine.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

Re: Easter round whats going on?

I think thats what ANDRA has been trying to do, (get some Government land). I think the problem is getting the right piece of land in the right spot.
No point having it where the general public can't get to it, it has to be accessible to public transport, to be able to bring in bigger crowds. Wouldn't you agree ??

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.
There are 0 guests and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats
 
Total Topics:
3347
Total Polls:
131
Total Posts:
8299
Posts today:
2
User Info
 
Total Users:
2599
Newest User:
sumpplug
Members Online:
0
Guests Online:
447

Online: 
There are no members online