RAI return to Mello Yello tour

This article brought to you by:

sdect071116 026

Rapisarda Autosport International returns this weekend to Pomona Raceway in California for the final round of the 2016 NHRA Mello Yellow Top Fuel championship.

The meeting comes at the end of a grueling American tour that included five meetings since the U.S. Nationals in September and a lightning quick trip back home to Sydney for the East Coast Nationals last weekend.

At the Toyota Nationals, in Las Vegas, RAI produced the upset of the 2016 season when they defeated eight-time world champion,Tony Schumacher, in round one.

“It’s been a tough couple of weeks,” according to team-owner Santo Rapisarda.

“I’m very proud how my boys Santino, Santo and the crew have handled the pressure of racing and all the travel involved. Over the last three weekends we have raced in Las Vegas, then Sydney, and go back to America. I think, all together, we have raced five times in the last seven weeks.”

RAI struck gold at the East Coast Nationals with Wayne Newby taking out the final against fellow Sydneysider Peter Xiberras on a holeshot. Newby clocked a world-class speed of 530 km/h.

The team had little opportunity to celebrate with the quick turn around for the three-day Pomona meeting that commences with qualifying on Friday afternoon.

“The Pomona meeting is one of the most popular meetings on the calendar. There is usually a lot of Aussies in the crowd, who come over for the Vegas meeting, do some shopping, have a holiday, then, stay on for the Pomona meeting. We want to put on a good show for the fans,who really get behind the team,”said Rapisarda.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine