Something on the side for Drew

This article brought to you by:

Australia’s quickest Harley rider Mark Drew has been busy not just preparing for the Westernationals but also getting back to his speedway roots.

He competed at Gillman Speedway in South Australia on the weekend, in order to get into the World Sidecar Title next November at Murray Bridge.

“To get into the world championship you have to qualify through the Australian championship and for me to get into the Australian championship I had to race on Saturday night,” he said.

“Against most of the riders who will be in the Australian championship I had to show I was good enough.”

It was a long time between speedway drinks for Drew.

“I have only ridden once in five years which was two and a half years ago,” he said.

“After a 16 bike 20 heat format we were one point behind the leading point scorer going into the final. We finished second in the final to take second place overall for the meeting which will secure our place in Australian title qualifying.”

Drew will be competing at this weekend’s Westernationals at Perth Motorplex in Top Bike, where he recently recorded Australia’s quickest nitro Harley pass of 6.43 seconds.

Speedway picture courtesy Gillman Speedway/Judy Mackay.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine