Father and son pushing for Pro Bike glory

This article brought to you by:

Fathers and sons working together is a combination that can often be one of extremes, but for father and son duo Peter and Maurice Allen, the pathway has so far been paved with success as they contest the ANDRA Pro Series Pro Stock Motorcycle championship.

The Allen’s Milwaukee Pro Stock Bike heads to Willowbank Raceway alongside nine other entries for the professional bracket across March 25 and 26 for the Top Fuel Championships, which includes the third of five rounds for the Pro Stock Bike championship.

The 2010/2011 season is the first for which the well known drag racing stalwarts have officially teamed up, with the two-man effort so far proving effective.

“I was riding in partnership with a bike owner for about ten years, but over the off-season that came to a close,” said Allen.

“I had a bike parked in the corner of the shed, so we dusted it off and brought it up to spec for this championship.

“Dad looks after the maintenance and I look after the riding and logistics as well as some marketing, public relations and the like, and while we sometimes have people come in to help out on race weekends and such essentially its just the two of us.

“It has really allowed us to simplify things, and I think that is a part of why we have been able to have a consistent package this season, we are so meticulous with everything and we are able to spend a lot of time in the shed and the it pays off, as they say preparation and maintenance are almost everything when it comes to these kind of campaigns.”

The partnership is no doubt bolstered by the experience brought by the senior Allen to the fore, with the former racer holding countless records and event wins to his name from across the years counting back to when he first burst onto the Australian scene from England in the sixties with a bike running times no one had seen locally, going on to be the first to run a ten second, nine second and eight second pass in Top Bike.

“I’ve done this sort of thing all my life, building motorcycles, preparing them, riding them, I came over from England in 1968 and it all just went from there,” said Peter Allen.

“It’s something I enjoy, working with Maurice on his bike its not a lot different from what I have done before, he is the rider and I look after the mechanical side, the nuts and bolts, and we work pretty well together.

“Back in 1991 we won the Nationals with a Group One (Pro Series) category win each, which was a world first, so he has had a good apprenticeship!

“Over the years he has honed his skills, he is a very good rider as far as ability, and we have come a long way in the past 12 months as far as development, for example we will be heading to this meeting with the latest technology in the back wheel, hopefully that will help, but if not we are still in with a equal chance as everyone else.

“You can never be confident of things like championships, as there is always something that can wrong, its those little things that happen that are unforeseen which get in the way, you can only be confident of what you have done, and do your best from there.”

The pair now head to Willowbank Raceway, the location for that special father and son achievement at 1991’s Nationals.

“1991 was really special for us, having us both have an event win, Dad in Top Bike and myself winning in Pro Stock Motorcycle, it’s a special memory and a big achievement for us.

“We are looking forward to heading to Willowbank, its somewhere where we have experience and hopefully we can keep on rolling through the consistent performances, we have made some changes to the bike so its almost where we want it, and we will just be keeping our head down and trying to get to the end.

“Willowbank is a fast track for our class, but sometimes its not always about who is fastest or quickest, its more about who is still there at the end, so that is something we will be focusing on.”

The Top Bike and Pro Stock Motorcycle categories will be joined by fellow ANDRA Pro Series racers Top Fuel across the two-day March event, alongside a wide variety of sportsman racers.

Tickets for the Top Fuel Championships are available now through www.willowbankraceway.com.au, and start at just $35 for adults per day, with students with ID gaining a discounted entry. Children 13 and under gain free entry to the event, which will kick off on Friday March 25 at 4.00pm with qualifying, including ANDRA Pro Series qualifying at 5.00pm, 7.00pm and 9.00pm. Saturday March 26 will see the on-track action get underway from 11.00am, with ANDRA Pro Series racing from 5.00pm and finals for all categories including the Pro racers from 8.30pm (all times approximate and subject to change)

While March is full of action, April also has its own fun to offer, with the all-new Queensland Auto Spectacular to be held at Willowbank Raceway on Sunday April 10.

Willowbank Raceway’s official website – www.willowbankraceway.com.au – is the place to go for more information on ticketing and upcoming events, including the season-ending Castrol EDGE Winternationals.

The Queen’s Birthday long weekend event will take place across Friday June 10 – Monday June 13. Featuring all of the ANDRA Pro Series brackets as well as the Rocket All Stars Racing Series making their final fights for their championships, fans are guaranteed non-stop action.

For more information and calendar dates please visit
www.willowbankraceway.com.au

UPCOMING EVENT INFORMATION: TOP FUEL CHAMPIONSHIPS:

Racing from:
Feature brackets: Top Fuel, Top Bike and Pro Stock Motorcycle
Racing also from: Lifestyle Floor Coverings Competition, Lifestyle Floor Coverings Super Stock, Super Compact, Competition Bike, All Star Batteries Supercharged Outlaws, Knijff Earthmoving Modified, Powercruise Super Sedan, Speed Elec/Prime Signs Super Street, Modified Bike, Donnelly Blasting Services Junior Dragster and Super Gas.

Ticketing: tickets available online at www.willowbankraceway.com.au or at the gate:
General Admission:
Adult Admission – Friday March 25 2011 – $35.00
Student/Concession Admission – Friday March 25 2011 – $25.00
Adult Admission – Saturday March 26 2011- $35.00
Student/Concession Admission – Saturday March 26 2011 – $25.00

Adrenalin Club – includes Admission – limited seating:
Adrenalin club – Friday March 25 2011 – $75.00
Adrenalin club – Friday March 25 2011 – $30.00
Adrenalin Club – Saturday March 26 2011 – $75.00
Adrenalin club – Saturday March 26 2011 – $30.00

Reserved Grandstand seating – does not include admission:
Startline Club Seat – Friday March 25 2011- $16.00
Startline Club Seat – Satudray March 26 2011 – $16.00

Schedule:
Timings are approximate only and subject to change – be sure to check www.willowbankraceway.com.au for schedule updates closer to the event.

Friday March 25, 2011
On track action from 4.00pm
ANDRA Pro Series Qualifying 5.00pm, 7.00pm, 9.00pm

Saturday March 26, 2011
On track action from 11.00am
ANDRA Pro Series Racing from 5.00pm, 7.00pm and finals for all brackets including ANDRA Pro Series from 8.30pm

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine