American star returns for rescheduled Winternationals

This article brought to you by:

The resumption of the 2011 Castrol EDGE Winternationals – July 15-17 at Willowbank Raceway – is set to be bigger and better than ever with confirmation that US NHRA Top Fuel star, Cory McClenathan will be back for the event.
McClenathan – who was ranked the number three Top Fuel driver in the world in 2010 – joins a mega field of ANDRA Pro Series competitors that will return to Queensland for the continuation of the 44-year strong event.

Fans will get to see the final two rounds of Castrol EDGE Winternationals qualifying, all ANDRA Pro Series elimination racing, as well as the resumption of the Rocket All Stars Series racing.

The 34-time NHRA Final Round winner from Brownsburg, Indiana – is ecstatic he’ll be returning to Australia – and has his eyes on bringing home the prize for Rapisarda Racing.

“I always love coming to Australia and thanks to Santo, I have the opportunity to come back and race for the Castrol EDGE Winternationals win,” said McClenathan. “It was disappointing that we only got one run in – I used it to get comfortable in the car before putting on a show in my second run.

“The response from the fans to us being at Willowbank Raceway was fantastic. I couldn’t believe the knowledge they have of NHRA racing. The atmosphere at the Castrol EDGE Winternationals was second to none – it was right up there.” 

There has been a phenomenal level of feedback from the fans and racers alike for the rescheduled event. Top line competitors in most classes are returning, with the Pro Stock, Top Doorslammer, Top Bike and Top Alcohol fields still remaining over-subscribed.

Spectators can expect to see some impressive performances right across the board – in most classes, record times were required to even make the field. With the ANDRA Pro Series Top Doorslammer and Pro Stock Titles still in contention, competition in those classes especially is expected to be fierce.

Willowbank Raceway is busily preparing for the rescheduled event, with indications showing that it could be even bigger than the original weekend. 

“We’re more than encouraged by the response we’ve received so far – it’s beyond our expectation,” said Willowbank Raceway Managing Director, Steve Bettes. “The event was shaping up to be one of our biggest ever. Even with the inclement weather on the Saturday, overall numbers for the first two days were up significantly on last year.

“Pleasingly, the racers are keen to come back and do it all again, the air will be cooler and more conducive to some record performances and the response from ticket holders has been incredibly positive.

“The economic impact the Castrol EDGE Winternationals had on Ipswich the first time around was in the millions of dollars, so the good news is that everyone will be back to do it all again.”

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine