Drag Racing returns to Adelaide

This article brought to you by:

After an absence of more than ten years the sound and spectacle of professional drag racing will return to Adelaide International Dragway (A.I.R) on November 26th.

In an exclusive interview with Drag News Australia, event promoter and Top Doorslammer driver Rino D’Alfonso spoke enthusiastically about his vision for the sport in South Australia’s capital.

“My main motivation to get drag racing happening in Adelaide was to prevent the further loss of life as a result of street racing,” D’Alfonso stressed.

“If I can save just one life by conducting drag racing at this facility it will all be worth while,” he continued.

D’Alfonso, through his company Racing Onn Promotions, has been in negotiation with the track owner Rodney Jane for over twelve months securing a deal that will see the return of professional racing to A.I.R. Negotiations have also taken place with ANDRA that will see this event and future events ANDRA sanctioned.

“At present we will be running all high powered vehicles to the 1/8 mile,” D’Alfonso stated.

“While the track has been resurfaced for the full quarter, the braking area has a few patches that need attention,”

“Concrete barriers will also be extended down the right hand side to bring the track up to regulation,” D’Alfonso says.

Racing Onn Promotions will lease the facility from Jane, investing a substantial amount of money into the facility to make racing happen again. Crowd facilities will be enhanced with amenity blocks being brought in for events and existing food facilities re-opened.

“As Racing Onn Promotions are absorbing all the costs to make racing happen again we are looking for various sponsors to assist with other costs. We are looking for businesses that are interested in becoming a minor sponsor, lane sponsor or major sponsor and can tailor a package to suit,” D’Alfonso said.

“Sponsors will get great exposure as we have already had interest from several media outlets including television,”

“My end vision is to get Adelaide drag racing back on the race calendar and hold some quarter mile national events. With your help, I believe that we can do this and give Adelaide what it has been wanting for all these years. The future is promising with a number of Top Fuel racers interested in attending an event in February next year,” he concluded.

The first announced event on November 26 will feature an eight car Top Doorslammer field including Peter Kapiris, Victor Bray, Ben Bray, Maurice Fabietti and D’Alfonso in his own HSW Doorslammer. More drivers are expected to be announced in coming weeks.

Other brackets will form part of the event including but not limited to street cars, funny cars and assorted bike brackets.

Visit the Racing Onn website for further information along with Drag News for more updates as they become available.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine