Phillips makes it #15

This article brought to you by:

Drag Racing legend Gary Phillips and his Lucas Oil Products team has claimed their 14th Australian Top Alcohol Championship in the ANDRA Pro Series, making a total of 15 Australian titles in Gary’s illustrious career.

The veteran racer finished his 39th season of competition by sealing the championship at Queensland’s Willowbank Raceway Winternationals on Sunday, claiming that the titles are becoming harder to achieve.

“The competition has been challenging for every one of those 15 championships but as I’m getting older, the competition is getting tougher, so every year it gets harder to win, but with the great support of Lucas Oil Products, we make it happen,” said a reflective Phillips from his home in Hillcrest, Queensland.

Finishing the season 78 points clear of his nearest rival, Phillips was buzzing about the win, as well as claiming the Alcohol Funny Car speed record with a 260.71 mph pass. The record was backed up by a 259.91 mph run to secure the magic double of both speed and elapsed time that Phillips posted in 2009.

The Lucas Oils team also stepped back into the five second zone in the Studebaker Top Doorslammer on the weekend with a 5.993 at 245.54mph pass, indicating an exciting year ahead.

“The Doorslammer is clearly back on the right track now and the crash may have been a blessing in disguise as it gave us an opportunity to makes some significant adjustments to the rear end, which judging by the 5.99, we’ve got something right.”

With a career deeply etched in Australian drag racing history, Phillips will head into his 40th year of competition next season with no less drive than the previous 39.

“The challenge of going faster is still our biggest motivation, but I’ll never get tired of racing at 260mph, let me tell you!”

Gary and his team would also like to thank their associate sponsors, NSANE Developments, Champion Spark Plugs, ET Racing Fuels and BenzPress for their valued support.

For more information, see www.GaryPhillips.com.au

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine