Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Forgot password? | Forgot username?
  • Index
  • » Users
  • » mick80

25-03-17 07:42:35
GPZ1100 Funny Bike
Category: The Garage

Still available?

24-03-17 10:12:57
Slingshots, diggers, FEDs - lets hear about them!!!!!
Category: Nostalgia
Forum: Die Hards

Thanks rooman- I had a look at video of the Fiat bodied fuel altered you mentioned and it tracks very straight indeed. Would you say 150" would be a good mid ground for an altered with a small block/powerglide combination? ET's I'm chasing are only in the high 8's to 9's.

Do FED's and altereds have similar rear wheel tracks/widths or are altereds generally wider.

I imagine designing or allowing for ballast in the front end would be a good idea in any home build.

Do you prefer mild steel or chrome moly?

Cheers

22-03-17 09:44:56

Thanks for the replies Tony  and rooman,

It seems the newer styles of FED are a lot longer in the wheelbase than the vintage diggers as you guys were saying. How did the 160" WB ones get down the track back in the day? Were they as stable and straight? Reason I'm asking is that older shorter style appeals more for the fact there's less car to trailer and store when not racing and also more room left in the garage to move and work around it!

Originally I'd conceived to run a carburetted BBC but looking around at older vehicles online it seems they put in great times with small blocks.

This one really catches the eye: at only 120" of wheelbase the driver really looks shoehorned in. I'm not sure how I'd go at 6'2"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnqWWqd0axM

I will definitely look into the King Chassis designs and see if they offer a blueprint.

Looks like a bit of ballast and downforce was required in Dan Horan's car that you were driving there rooman! As for the trailer fire- that's just heartbreaking.

13-03-17 14:30:43

Nice bit of work there Tony- I know it's a long time since that post, have you run your dragster often?

I'm also 4 hours west of Sydney dragway but someday hope to be able to trailer something there on the cheap.

I've been looking around the net for reputable blueprints for a FED or altered and have so far been sold on the Mark Williams plans that are sold on their website. One thing I'm unsure of acquiring within my budget is the rear end that the design is built around. So I was wondering what you designed your dragster from?

Cheers

13-03-17 14:14:31
Category: The Garage
Forum: Wanted

Looking for a BBC 454 for a super budget entry level drag car. Car won't be registered and could be a 90's Falcon or Commodore or altered or FED. I still haven't made up my mind which body style to go with but I know I will be trailering it to the strip so I don't have to deal with rego costs.

2 bolt mains, stocko quadrajet or whatever, not looking for aluminium or any fancy gizmos, just a complete long engine to throw into a budget car for a guy on an average manufacturing wage.

Cheers.

26-05-14 18:30:05

Yes they really bring the nostalgia back into it too, for cheap.

The one I saw on the weekend was running a 265 Hemi, it ran a best of 10.5 I think, which is bloody good without a turbo

25-05-14 14:51:45

There were quite a few FED's running in modified on the weekend at Round 3 of the NSW champs at SD. A few interesting 6 cylinder cars that were holding off the big boys as well.

I wouldn't mind building and running one myself but I don't have the first clue of where to go.

• Index
  • » Users
  • » mick80

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User: