First time winners highlight East Coast Thunder

This article brought to you by:

ectsnapshots 19

First time winners in both Pro Alcohol and Pro Slammer were among the highlights of as East Coast Thunder wrapped up at Sydney Dragway on Sunday.

An emotional Robert Ambruosi took the win in Pro Alcohol on a solo as fellow finalist Chris Hargrave was unable to make the call to the start line with terminal engine damage.

Tears flowed from his crew on the start line for the journeyman racer who admitted that he was ready to give it away after a trying week of testing. “We hurt a motor early in the week, and I was done. Ready to pack it in. But my daughters and my family pushed me on and now, here we are holding the trophy, its just unbelievable!”.

In Pro Slammer, Kelvin Lyle won over Sam Fenech who was also looking for his first winners trophy. Lyle won with a 5.831 whilst Fenech lifted the supercharger at half track in a violent explosion, resulting in a small fire. Lyle leaves the event with the points lead, overtaking championship leader John Zappia and Reigning Champion Paul Mouhayet.

“We burned up second gear in the second round, and we got a lot of help from John Zappia to get it back together for the semi. It’s great to get the win here in Sydney, we are just stoked!”

ectsnapshots 17

Top Fuel saw Rapisarda Autosport International Teammates Ashely Sanford and Wayne Newby do battle, with Californian Sanford Looking for her first win on either Australian or American soil.

At green light Sanford took a slight advantage but it was Wayne Newby in a brand-new car taking with win with the quickest time of the event, a 3.868.

Newby said as he climbed from his car: “It’s just a privilege to drive for the Rapisarda family. My whole team has worked their backsides off to put this new car together, and it has absolutely done the job this weekend.”

ectsnapshots 18

Pro Stock was a controversial affair, with the final between Chris Soldatos and Tyronne Tremayne. Soldatos went into full stage before Tremayne had entered pre-stage. The Mega Bulk Fuels driver was then timed out in pre stage, handing the win to Soldatos who recorded the quickest time of the event in the process with a 7.00.

ectsnapshots 21

Top Bike was a battle of attrition with reigning champ Chris Matheson withdrawing from the event after qualifying. This left 4 bikes, with fan favourite Jay Upton struggling in the hot conditions. The final featured Adam Layton who was searching for his first win in 400 Thunder, and Gavin Spann who laid down the quickest time of the event, a 6.809 en-route to the victory.

ectsnapshots 20

Pro Bike saw the final between Glenn Wooster and Lachlan Ireland, with Wooster taking the victory and the points lead with a 7.315 over a slowing 8.095 from Ireland.

The 400 Thunder Series now moves to Willowbank Raceway on the 5th January for the New Years Thunder, Featuring the next round of the championship for Top Fuel, Pro Alcohol, Pro Slammer, Pro Stock and Pro Stock Bike.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine