Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?
  • Index
  • » Users
  • » da_bing

31-12-13 23:54:41
2014 Planners & Schemers
Category: General Discussion
Forum: The Bench

There are so many questions that need to be asked. Where is this sport going? F*#k this sport is my life and I hate what is happening and all the bullshit that goes with it. I wish I would win the lotto as the solution is money, something the sport does not have.

Happy New Year to all. hopefully 2014 is the turning point.

30-12-13 15:44:27
2014 Planners & Schemers

Geez I hope 2014 is the year this sport 'finds its feet' just as I have hoped pretty much every year for the past decade or more. In the past 5 years there have been changes everywhere you look and every change was billed as the one that would see the sport turn the corner yet racers are still leaving and the tracks still control the sport. How many more years can we tread water before we go under. If not for the Lamattina and Rapisarda teams fielding 2 cars top fuel would most likely fade away to nothing and take 90% of the spectators with them.

We have the greatest show on earth but it costs a lot of money to put it on and we as a sport are broke. Find some money and we will find (buy) success just as the v8 taxicabs did a decade ago.

25-12-13 12:20:57

Merry Christmas fellow drag racing fans. Hope Santa was as nice to you as he was to me (JFR 9/11 diecast). Hope to see you all at a race track somewhere sometime in 2014.

08-11-13 19:49:51
NHRA, opinions vary on 1320

personally I say stay at 1000ft and run em flat out but from the talk at Pomona it seems like it is a done deal they are going back to 1320 with restrictions on the cars so they dont run 340+. lots of cheap parts coming to Australia if it happens that way.

08-11-13 19:40:04
Enjoyed?

Oh yeah. What a great event!!! Craig Baker winning the championship in Modified, Darren Parker and Matt Forbes winning the event and the championship in Super Stock and Super Gas respectively and Morgs wrapping up the championship. Only downer was PK not bringing it home. I had one of the best weekends at a dragstrip I have had in this country, well worth the 800 k drive each way. Just wished I could have stayed for the dinner on the Monday to see Paul Rogers get inducted into the hall of fame.

One question though, what does SD have to do to pull a crowd and did someone really use the word massive to describe it???

08-11-13 19:33:30
Enjoyed?

I believe it is only a short term thing and the nationals will return to its most successful date and venue as early as 2015 and the finals will head to SD. All about the dates I believe.

30-10-13 19:14:14
Did Calder Deliver?
Forum: Track Talk

It wont be 1000 foot too much longer, the walls are there but it is time consuming to actually put them in place securely. If you look on google maps the breaking area at Calder is long so once the walls go up we will be all good to run the full quarter. The reason the infield wasn't used is the old bridge is gone so there is no spectator access to the infield but that will be rectified soon. I am pretty sure back in the 90's we had many years at the nationals with well over 400 entrants so pit space will not be an issue.

24-10-13 19:01:13
Did Calder Deliver?
Forum: Track Talk

I take my hat off to Pistol Pete and everyone who helped out both in the lead up and on the day. I can tell you it wasn't easy but was highly rewarding and was a good baseline to improve on in the future and believe me it will.

As for the finals next year, I personally think the Nationals should come back 'home' and let Sydney host the finals.

07-10-13 20:28:09

All the major FM stations are running ads from next week I believe. Triple m were a huge part of the success of drag racing in Melbourne and are keen to get on board again. Who remembers the outside broadcasts from the track in the mid 90's?

07-10-13 19:58:05

Radio ads for Calder start next week. It aint cheap to advertise on stations like triple m. A couple of other things going on around Melbourne in the next 2 weeks

07-10-13 19:54:52
Promoting Andra events?

treed wrote:

Max when you say "ANDRA should put in funds" that is member money you are talking about. i would rather my membership money go to services for racers.

But isnt promoting the sport a good thing for the racers? More bums in seats means more ammunition to take to a sponsor? I race once a month in front of 30 000 people sounds a hell of a lot better than 5 000.

And with more bums on seats the more revenue the sport generates and prize money should go up as a result.

Personally, I think ANDRA should hire the tracks for the major events the same way the NHRA does but unfortunately until someone or a company hands over a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills that aint gunna happen

07-10-13 19:46:44
Promoting Andra events?

Ralph wrote:

I saw a Calder street meeting ad on TV last night.

On what channel???

ANDRA are promoting the crap out of the Calder meet in the next 2 weeks and I have personally handed out more flyers than I can count to places like Bursons and supercheap as well as shops and servos around my area and plan to do a hell of alot more before the event. I also carry them with me in the truck and drop some off wherever I buy my lunch.

On the weekend I went to a hot rod show and put around 1000 flyers on car windscreens.

I ask for another box and it is at Calder waiting for me to pick up on the way home.

What I am getting at is it costs nothing for YOU to get out there and help promote the sport. Tell people about it, ask for some event flyers, get on the radio and mention it, put a flyer on the back window of your daily driver. If you race get a couple of cars together and ask a shopping centre or similar if you can put on a display in the car park.

All of that costs nothing apart from time and petrol

28-09-13 11:06:09
The state of play

There is nothing wrong with having an opinion and expressing it. Freedom of speech is a right we enjoy in this country but you just gotta learn where to draw the line. Not so much now but from comments I have made on the old dragster forums I have made some great friends that started with a phone call where the caller wanted to rip my head off at the start.

Say what you gotta say but think about the consequences before you hit submit. Make sure it is not slander or hearsay and you have nothing to worry about.

And yes we live in the world of fakebook now and it can be bloody dangerous to express an opinion as 1000+ people may see what you write in the 15 mins before you decide it was a bad idea and take it down whereas on a forum half a dozen may see it in that time.

Tread carefully but there is nothing wrong with healthy debate between like minded people.

21-09-13 20:00:43

Records yes, otherwise its random who goes over the scales etc

21-09-13 19:59:16

Karl Kruizer wrote:

Somebody said, "just wait, the 2014 season is gonna be sensational", 4 and a half months between round 9 and 10, other rounds are doubled up, 6 rounds of pro stock, 11 rounds of top bike.

When is Hidden Valley going to get some Top Fuel rounds?

Can somebody explain after all the talk and bullshit, of how, this is the season that's gonna put drag racing on the map, how this is better, it just looks like ANDRA has no idea WTF it's doing. Which part is historic??

No offense to the racers or teams, but you guys ought to get a new governing body.

• Index
  • » Users
  • » da_bing

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User: