Maiden win spurs Giannaros on to Darwin

This article brought to you by:

47ec3775 6759 4519 a677 ae0f57492d7a

Super Street racer Michael Giannaros took out his first ANDRA Christmas Tree at the weekend’s Desert Nationals and is now making an impromptu trip to this weekend’s NT Nationals as a result.

The event at Alice Springs Inland Dragway at the weekend was the opening round of the 2019/2020 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series, which will continue at the Hidden Valley Drag Strip this weekend (August 9-10).

Giannaros’ victory aboard his 1984 Holden VK Commodore came from his first ever Super Street final and with its fair share of nerves for the South Australian racer.

“It was definitely a tough weekend but the most nerve wracking part was when I had a re-run in the semi-final,” Giannaros said while thanking his wife, crew, Alice Springs Inland Dragway, ANDRA and Summit Racing Equipment.

“I thought I’d won the semi and I was very excited to go to the final but then we had to do a re-run due to a faulty light, but thankfully it went in my favour again and I got to the final against Chris Hodge.

“I was very happy to run against him, I knocked him out on the first run last year so it was good we got to run against each other in the final – it was a very close run and I wasn’t sure who had won at the end of the line, I didn’t realise he had red lit.

“I was very happy to get to my first final and then to get my first ANDRA Christmas Tree – I was just stoked, I couldn’t believe it.

“That is why I am going to Darwin – I wasn’t planning on racing at the NT Nationals but I had such a good time at Alice Springs and everything went in my favour, so I have booked my ticket and I am heading to Darwin!

“I am going to do exactly the same at the NT Nationals as I did at the Desert Nationals and see what happens – it will be my first time at the Hidden Valley Drag Strip, so I am looking forward to it.”

Round two of the 2019/2020 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series, the NT Nationals, will be held at Darwin’s Hidden Valley Drag Strip this weekend (August 9 and 10). For more information, visit www.hiddenvalleydrags.com.au or www.andra.com.au

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine