Epic Competition Bike field ready for Westernationals

This article brought to you by:

There’s a big shipping container holding a barrage of fast motorbikes set to be unleashed at Perth Motorplex on March 3 and 4 in the fourth round of the Rocket Allstars Racing Series.

Ten Queensland and New South Wales based teams have managed to squeeze in for the journey across the Nullarbor where they will compete at the Westernationals.

The battleground that is Competition Bike will be particularly unique at the Westernationals, where four nitro-fuelled Harleys have entered and will be racing alongside motorcycles that could be ridden on the street.

Queensland’s Shayne Homes is one of the many riders making the trek to WA and will be competing in Competition Bike under the tough C/Street Bike classification.

Homes said there are many tough customers in the Competition Bike championship this season.

“There’s still three RARS rounds until the Winternationals so there is plenty of opportunity for riders to be in the hunt for the championship,” he said. “Scott Keogh (skipping the Westernationals) is off to a good start and he will be one to watch at the pointy end. In saying that never discount Kevin Gummow or Blair Pennington who is coming in to some form.”

Homes’ own chances depend on putting any experience to good use and ensuring his racing skills stay up to scratch.

“With more time on the track and in particular in competition I can improve, testing is never quite the same as competing,” he said. “I need more focus on the details of my race program, better data analysis, tuning at the track, that sort of thing.

“Over the Christmas break I gained a few kilos so I need to go back to some sort of fitness regime. Weight is critical on bikes especially with the lack of horsepower a small capacity bike has.”

Tactics will play a role in a bracket where 24 riders have entered for a 16 bike field and national records are almost certain to fall.

“Racing is not unlike a game of chess. Each racer makes a pass or a move to hopefully position them better for the final and it’s who makes the best moves wins,” Homes said.

The Rocket Allstars Racing Series features the best sportsman drag racers in Australia competing for national points.

The Westernationals at Perth Motorplex runs on March 3 and 4. Tickets are available from $31 from motorplex.com.au.

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine