Rodney Kerr ‘in the zone’ for Portland

This article brought to you by:

891235c4 17a6 4b50 ae35 aa99a7fab7b9

Rodney Kerr credits being ‘in the zone’ at the recent Sunset Strip Nationals with allowing him to break through for his first ever ANDRA Christmas Tree and is hoping for a repeat performance at his home track for this weekend’s South Coast Nationals.

The November 10 and 11 event will be held at South Coast Raceway and is round four of the 18/19 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series.

“I was nervous all day in Mildura between each of the races, but it was strange – I went into my own little world each time I pulled the helmet on and just became very zoned in on what was going on around me. I have never been able to do that before,” Kerr explains.

“Nothing else existed for me except the Tree, the opposition and the finish line – they were the three things I concentrated on and it seemed to work.

“It was five wins really, the other guys didn’t lose any of them, there were no red lights or giveaways, I had to win every race and it was an experience – I am still smiling about it now. Once you get a ANDRA Christmas Tree, that is something no one can ever take away from you.”

With his home-track now calling, Kerr is hoping that he can repeat the winning experience.

“I hope it isn’t a once off and I can do it again for the South Coast Nationals this weekend – I would like to think that it is not a ‘one hit wonder’. Great racing is all about luck though, and unfortunately most of the time it is bad,” he laughed.

For the 66 year old Portland local, South Coast Raceway is something of a second home.

“I don’t think there is a square inch of South Coast Raceway I haven’t been on, either in a race car or a tractor or the rubbish cart, or on the lawn mower or something or other – I know every lump and bump!” he said.

“I think it is everyone’s favourite place to race, it certainly is mine. The committee and the crew there do a wonderful job preparing things and getting everything in order for a major event and we get a lot of praise from everyone who races here. We even have had Nitro Funny Cars here recently doing side-by-side 200mph passes in 3.6 seconds – to me that identifies just how good the track is.”

While this will be Kerr’s second event for the season, he is already planning ahead.

“I am planning to be at both Portland events and also the next Mildura one, and then I am in a bit of a predicament!” he said.

“If I am anywhere in the points, I would like to go to Perth for the ANDRA Grand Finals (April 6-7) but the problem is, my wife Margaret and I are going to be on holidays and we don’t get back to Melbourne until the 5th!

“I might have to jump ship in Bangkok and fly to Perth instead of to Melbourne – Margaret is not going to be happy with me, but if I am anywhere near the points lead and look like I might get through it is going to have to happen! We will have to work it out, it all depends how the year goes,” he chuckled.

“A big thanks must go to Margaret, this is an expensive hobby and with the money that gets spent on building and competing in a car you have to have a supportive relationship otherwise things will just go pear shaped and she has just been wonderful letting me spend her money on something that is so rewarding for me.”

The South Coast Nationals, round four of the 18/19 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series, will be held at Portland’s South Coast Raceway in Victoria across Saturday 10 and Sunday 11 November, 2018.

More than 165 entrants have signed-up to the event. For full event information, visit www.southcoastraceway.com.au or visit www.andra.com.au

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine