EVENT COVERAGE – Edyvane upset in Summit Sportsman shocker at Warwick Dragway

This article brought to you by:

brendanedyvane-warwick2015

Brendan Edyvane (Moores Pocket, QLD) has upset the Top Sportsman apple cart in the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series presented by Southern Downs Regional Council at Warwick Dragway.

The volunteers at Warwick Dragway produced a flawless show while the racers turned on the action in front of the Southern Downs Deputy Mayor to bring a successful close to the first ever National Championship event to be held in Warwick.

Stepping up from Speedflow Super Sedan to Hungry Jacks Top Sportsman, Brendan Edyvane went all the way to the final to defeat strong favourite Scott Porter who left the start line .209 seconds too early for the foul.

Edyvane first defeated Neil Maxwell in Round 1 before sending Jason Stares home in the semi final. The underdog then recorded a 5.747 elapsed time on the 5.71 dial in to defeat Porter and claim the Silver Christmas Tree.

“It’s a bit of a surprise,” said Edyvane. “We stepped up to Top Sportsman for the weekend and it all worked out well in the end.

“I looked over and saw Porter coming so I was just hoping we’d go pretty close to the dial in and we weren’t far off.

“I cut a good light and he red lit so he virtually gave it to me on the start line.”

christinesteffens1-warwick2015

Christine Steffens (Gatton, QLD) wrapped up a perfect weekend with an Ice Slushee Supercharged Outlaws victory over Brian Trott in the final.

Steffens defeated Tim Caswell in Round 1 to earn a solo pass in the semi final and was made to work for it in the final showdown. Steffens left the start line first leaving Trott to chase but he couldn’t reel her in with a 4.776 on a 4.75 dial in to Steffens’ 4.612 on a 4.57 dial in.

“We had a pretty lucky weekend,” said Steffens. “This bracket is hard work. It’s a tough bracket and all the racers are hard to beat.

“Having to do dial in’s and the heat has just about got us but the old girl came out in the end – and I’m talking about the car!

“I have to thank my husband Ricky, without him I wouldn’t be racing. My daughter Kaylee usually helps us out but she disappeared this weekend so I have a couple of ring ins.

“I’ve got Slim who always helps, I’ve got Noel who has come and helped out and Mark Davison. Without all those guys I wouldn’t drive, the car can’t get down the other end without a crew.”

travisliefting-warwick2015

Travis Liefting (Old Bar, NSW) spoiled the party for top qualifier Katie Cunningham in K & R Plumbing Modified winning the final with a perfect reaction time at the start line to record a 5.737 second time on a 5.71 dial in.

Cunningham was always under pressure given Liefting’s perfect .000 light and could not make up the difference with a hard fought 4.876 on a 4.86 dial in. Liefting earlier defeated Lucas Holz, and Paul Doeblien to reach the final and as the first and only competitor to record a .000 reaction time during eliminations, he was awarded the Summit Racing Equipment Perfect Light Award.

kevinlangridge-warwick2015

Kevin Langridge (Capalaba, QLD) found himself on the winner’s podium in Speedflow Super Sedan defeating Peter Whitbourne in the final with a 6.250 on a 6.21 dial in from a 6.740 and a 6.65 dial in. Langridge had to overcome Ashley Thomson, Mandy Pukis and Mitchell Bauer to reach the final and claim the trophy.

tammygoldthorp1-warwick2015

Denweld Modified Bike went to Tammy Goldthorp (Raceview, QLD) who defeated a red lighting Phil Halpin in the final with a 5.969 on a 5.89 dial in from Halpin who fouled by just .011 seconds. To reach the final Goldthorp eliminated Luke Spence, Matt Halpin and Peter Strudwick.

Also in Modified Bike, top qualifier Daniel Sekli claimed a new eighth-mile National speed record for the B/MB class reaching 125.10 mph for the first ever National Record to be set at Warwick Dragway.

robertwinterburn-warwick2015

Rob Winterburn (Daisy Hill, QLD) showed his consistency to back up the Winternationals win earlier this year and a runner up at the recent East Coast Nationals in Sydney to add another ANDRA Christmas Tree to his collection.

Winterburn defeated Rob Price in the Image Ink Super Street final with a 7.471 on a 7.42 dial in to a 7.434 and a 7.43 dial in. Earlier in the day Mark Peterson, Andrew Stathis and David Freeman were sent packing on the way to the final.

dylanleo1-warwick2015

Dylan Leo (Jimbommba, QLD) wrapped up a successful weekend in Summit Racing Equipment Junior Dragster taking home the trophy and winning the Gridstar by YBI Creative Best Presented Team Award.

Leo defeated Jordan Spencer and Andrew Tinney on his way to a final win against Charlee Wilson with an 8.148 second pass on an 8.12 dial in from Wilson’s 8.912 on an 8.94 dial in. Along with the Silver Christmas Tree the team also take home the Best Presented Trophy, six Best Presented Caps and a $50 Summit Racing Equipment voucher.

daleodwyer-warwick2015

Finally in FG Loy & Sons Earthmoving Super Gas, Dale O’Dwyer (Toowoomba, QLD) eliminated current Super Gas champ Graeme Spencer followed by Darryl Stephen on the way to defeating Kerry Boyde with a 6.308 second pass to Boyde’s 6.378.

The event came to a close just as the weather turned and ANDRA would like to thank Warwick Dragway and all of the hard working volunteers for their effort this weekend.

The Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series now travels to Mildura in Victoria next weekend December 4-5.

Full elimination results:

sun racing-1

sun racing-2

sun racing-4

sun racing-6

sun racing-7

sun racing-8

sun racing-9

sun racing-11

sun racing-12

{fcomment}

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue