Zappia Resets Track Record at WA Champs

This article brought to you by:

20161119 34

The Perth Motorplex hosted the first round of the new Summer Slam series for the growing number of Western Australian Top Doorslammer teams in Perth, and the WA Drag Racing Championship event this weekend saw eight teams compete for the coveted title.

Zap ran a wheel standing and pedaled 5.881 @ 405.12 km/h (251.73mph) off the trailer in the non-compulsory qualifier run in beautiful sunny conditions with an 8 knot headwind.

In the compulsory 6pm qualifier, Zap top qualified with a 5.855 @ 403.83 km/h (250.93 mph) – ahead of new “5 Second Club” member Mark Chapman on 5.972 @ 378.82 km/h (235.39 mph), returning Daniel Gregorini on 5.997 @ 389.77 km/h (242.19 mph), the improving Steve Aldridge on 6.151 @ 385.39 km/h (239.47 mph), Pino Priolo on 6.218 @ 386.81 km/h (240.35 mph), and Ryan Morseby on 6.543 @ 313.24 km/h (194.64 mph).

Two new Top Doorslammers graced the Perth Motorplex – the stunning Mustang of Kelvin Lyle, and smooth looking Cheville of Frank Taylor were both in attendance going through licensing with their first runs. Both managed half passes that would have pleased their respective owners and crew. Also licensing was the returning Tracey De Jager with a new engine combo in Nitrous Nana.

First round winners in the three match-ups were Zappia with a pedaled 5.794 @ 408.67 km/h (252.69 mph), Chapman with a 7.079 after both smoked the tyres on the hit, and Gregorini with a powerhouse 5.896 @ 390.00 km/h (242.33 mph).

“The Fuchs Monaro had some serious power today with the weather being so cold and good air” said Zappia, “The car has been wheel standing a lot in first gear, then will start to tyre shake, and I had to pedal on each run including the 5.794 run – pretty amazing really to go that quick with a pedal.”

The B Final saw Mark Chapman back up his earlier “first five” with another – defeating Steve Aldridge’s 6.086 @ 389.54 km/h (242.05 mph and PB) with a 5.990 @ 390.04 km/h (242.36 mph). Both teams were delighted with their results.

In the cool conditions Zappia met rival Gregorini in the A Final, and it was a good match up of Perth’s top doorslammer racers. Gregorini had the advantage on the light with a 0.058” reaction ahead of Zap’s 0.094”, but Gregorini overpowered the track only to see Zappia disappear ahead of him, stunning the crowd and fellow competitors with a powerful performance to win the final and reset the track speed record with his 5.717 @ 412.6 km/h (256.38 mph).

“The car shook the tyres at the top of first gear – so I did the quickest of pedals with the throttle and shifted gears. I could feel it pulling so hard. The shift light came up very quickly in second and again in third and I knew it was on a mission.”

“Such a great win and huge speed tonight for the team and a credit to Southside Engine Centre, and Bravo Resources for their machining and welding. This is also only the second race meeting with a new Aeromotive fuel pump feeding the screw hemi fuel system.”

“I have been away in the USA for the SEMA Show, meeting up with our USA Sponsors and watching some Pro Mod racing at Las Vegas. At the show I was able to meet up with sponsors Speedmaster, Aeromotive Inc. (Serious Fuel Systems), and Aurora Bearing Company. I then paid a visit to Reid Rockers before heading to the NHRA Finals at Pomona – catching up with Hoosier Tires, B&J Racing Transmissions and Noonan Race Engineering.”

“Also at the NHRA finals was Greg Gower from Alky Pro, showing some of the US racers the upgraded Alky Pro software with integrated weather station and phone app. This setup has made our tuning and keeping on top of the changing weather conditions much easier with no manual input required.”

“Also a big thank you to all our local and interstate sponsors who have been with us for many years – Striker Crushing and Screening, Dananni Hotshots, Southside Engine Centre, Crow Cams, Santhuff Shocks, Bravo Resources, Avtrac Maintenance Tracking, Appealing Signs, Advantage Tyres, PPG, Engel, Final Drive, CIC, K Craft Bullbars, Kounis Metal Industries and Legend Boatbuilders.”

“We are also assisting Kelvin Lyle with his new Top Doorslammer setup and tune, and it looks like there is potentially another really quick car here in Perth, and on the national circuit. Look out for this car.”

“My crew were on song this weekend – mature, experienced and steady. Gave me confidence to tune both cars on the day and drive knowing the Fuchs Monaro is always presented for racing at championship standard.”

“Big thanks to Fuchs Lubricants for their sponsorship here at Zappia Racing – we have been able to stay number one with their amazing support and highest quality lubricants. We look forward to representing them at Round 3 of the ANDRA Top Doorslammer Championship at the Summer Nationals at Adelaide International Raceway on 3-4th December. Let’s hope the big power of the Fuchs Monaro can bring home the win.”

“We would also like to thank Perth Motorplex management and staff who delivered a good race track and worked tirelessly to keep the event flowing and exciting.”

“Our next Perth meeting will be on Boxing Day (26th Dec) at the Perth Motorplex. We hope to see lots of our friends and supporters come down and watch us race and celebrate Christmas as we prepare for the upcoming Golden States and Westernationals meetings at Perth Motorplex in February and March.”

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine