Kelvin Brian takes maiden victory in Portland

This article brought to you by:

5e4ddee2 159c 48e5 9687 66dc22f0c67e

Last weekend’s South Coast 660 event at South Coast Raceway provided a perfect start to 2020 for the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series competitors and in particular, 66 year old Kelvin Brian.

The Super Street competitor from Hamilton in Victoria took out his first ever national event win at the January 11 and 12 event.

In his candy apple red ‘Super Roo’ XY Ute, Brian defeated a hard-charging Nikolas Karanovic who broke-out by the smallest of margins in an intense final race.

Earlier he had emerged victorious from battles against Andrew Gay (round one), Andrew Shirley, Ian Hick and Henry Spiack while Karanovic meanwhile had taken wins from last round victor Tony Barbara and Top Qualifier Peter Jephson in the opening two rounds, before enjoying a round three bye ahead of victory over Scott Cleary to book his place in the final.

“It was fantastic to win, at my age to win something like a ANDRA Christmas Tree is really special,” Brian said after the event.

“Everything went right with the car all weekend and I relaxed and just enjoyed each run.

“South Coast Raceway really is an unbelievable track, the Committee is fantastic and the event ran ‘spot on’. I really enjoyed it.”

A retired builder and farmer, Brian is a former Speedway racer and after a long time enjoying drag racing from the sidelines, decided to try his hand at racing just two years ago.

“I definitely plan to do more Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series rounds as I am really enjoying the sport of drag racing,” he said.

“At my age I am really enjoying the friendship of the sport too. I have always loved cars and I am really enjoying drag racing, especially at Portland!

“I would like to thank South Coast Raceway, ANDRA and Summit Racing Equipment for all that they do and also HECS Screens and Service in Hamilton for their support of my racing.”

For full results from the South Coast 660 event, please click here.

The next round of the 2019/2020 Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series will be held at the Perth Motorplex, with 49th Westernationals to be hosted by the venue across February 29 to March 1, 2020.

The event will feature not only all the racing for the Summit Racing Equipment Sportsman Series, but also Top Fuel, the West Coast Top Doorslammer Challenge and the West Coast Nitro Bike Challenge with all racers competing for a prestigious ANDRA Gold Christmas Tree Trophy.

For event information, visit www.motorplex.com.au or www.andra.com.au 

Aeroflow Performance Parts Catalogue
FREE DOWNLOAD

Drag News Magazine