Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Winternationals

Re: Winternationals

We need to look at solving the live broadcast problem Oz wide, include regional tracks, if we have even a remote chance of ever been taken as a serious sport / business in regards to sponsers. Excusses are a eazy find, fixes will take a bit more but its time we all (tracks,ANDRA ) step up before we loose any more credibility.

LEIGH TURNER
ANDRA #135

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

I did a 4g speedtest on sat and sun. 45m down 35m up. probably the fastest data and track in the country.

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

michaelv8 wrote:

outlaw wrote:

Question???

Why does the winter nats need to run over 4 days?

I understand the large fields but I don't understand why with the current financial times we need to have 4 qualifiers for group 1?

3 qualifiers is enough & everyone has the same opportunity

This meeting should have been run & done using the public holiday Monday as a rain day or day for interstates to travel home.

Dragging the meeting out will now result in racers racing for the pinnacle of the year in front of 2 & a dog at mid week race day.

I couldn't agree more. If it had been run over three days, and it could be done easily, no racers or spectators going home disappointed. Group 1 does not need 4 qualifiers. If no winners were decided what happens with the prisemoney, does anyone know if any racers got any money?

I was talking to a very bucks down top fuel racer before it was called and he didn't know that grp 1 were the only grp to get 4 quals. I suggested that maybe they take one off them and we would save half a day. The reason that it isn't run over 3 days rather than 4 is it just gets too cold after the sun goes off the track and we end up with oil or body panels everywhere. The meeting as it was went nearly to schedule every day. I have been there when we waited until nearly midnight only to be told to come back in the morning early, that's not fun when the motel is 45 mins away. Damned if they do it in the day time and over 4 days and damned if they do it over 3 days and have carnage everywhere. I have personally made the decision to not race at the winters because of the scheduling and this has seen me not race at the winters for 5 tears but I still love the meeting and went up and spectated and whored myself out to crew for anybody that would have me. As for the Monday as a rain date, I would agree that would be the smart thing to do as I don't think the crowds they got on Friday,Saturday and Sunday would have come out for Monday.

Don't take life to serious ------ its not permanent

Growing old is mandatory >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> growing up is optional

outlaw wrote:

Question???

Why does the winter nats need to run over 4 days?

Pretty simple really. It gives the Track an extra day to Fleece the spectators !

The 3 days of racing this year were second to none
Its a real pitty about mondays rain out.
I have been to 13 winters straight and rate qualifing this year as best I can remember
Tf having a number of 4 second runs
No oildowns
Lamitina 331mph!!!!!
Ta 5.69 bump  and going down to wire last seshion
Td 10 cars in 5s and victor 6.000 in 11
Zap and kapiris 5.7s
Pro stock was best qualifing of any gp 1 class ever I think
Tb with matho out was anyones and close.
Good battles in pro bike and lougheed 7.1 best in years
Group 2 down on numbers but still record runs
Big numbers in gp 3.
Nicky hepburn great drive in gemini 7.04 @201.
Would love to see race ali in orange hb from syd.
Both cars very similar down track
Pro fz best I have ever seen them and really had crowd talking in stands.
They are very popular around new people to the sport.
For next year I have been thinking alot and have my idea on a schedule
Give gp 3 and 4 2 qualifiers starting friday at 8.00 am
Tjen 1 qualifier for gp 1 and 2 then the 3rd qualifier for gp 3 and 4 and finish up about 9~9.30
Sat start eliminations for gp 3 and 4. Give gp 1 and 2 2 qualifiers  and have another round or sportsman after.
Sunday run how it has been.
There is no need to finish racing by 6 at night.
Keep monday free as rain day

There is absolutely no reason for the Winters to be run over 4 days, look at the schedule for Friday. There 476 total entries, on Friday alone they ran approx 390 racers in 12 different brackets, with 4 of those brackets having all 3 qualifiers, given that there were 111 super sedans and they had 3 qualifiers, that's a lot passes in one day and they didn't run late into the night. so the remaining 86 or so entries mainly group 1 need to run over 2 days have 4 qualifiers?

michaelv8 wrote:

There is absolutely no reason for the Winters to be run over 4 days, look at the schedule for Friday. There 476 total entries, on Friday alone they ran approx 390 racers in 12 different brackets, with 4 of those brackets having all 3 qualifiers, given that there were 111 super sedans and they had 3 qualifiers, that's a lot passes in one day and they didn't run late into the night. so the remaining 86 or so entries mainly group 1 need to run over 2 days have 4 qualifiers?

Like I said Micheal group 1took about 8 hours to run 2 sessions without accident or oil downs. Take one of those away and you have easily fitted another round off grp 3. Completely. As I said to the grp 1 racer who was surprised when I told him that they were the only ones to get 4 qualifiers.  While I'm here this is not a bagging or you may take it as it is but the SCO guys need to quicken up their routines, you are grp 3 but on average were taking longer than pro stock even with them doing their wheelie bar adjustments etc. all other DYO brackets were pushed through but some of grp  one and a third took their sweet time. Some weren't ready to fire even when told and only put the starter on the blower then.!! Ok flame away but we were sitting there waiting waiting waiting, might not seem long at the car but go sit in the stands.

Don't take life to serious ------ its not permanent

Growing old is mandatory >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> growing up is optional

I think Willowbank need to re-think the date for starters. There has been several Winters that have been disrupted, cancelled or rescheduled due to rain & Willowbank has only started allocating a rain day in the last few years. Unfortunately, rain dates only adds expense & inconvenience to all competitors regardless of the bracket, resulting in poor attendance & the threat of rain again (which caused the Winters rerun in 2011 to be canned before the finals).

The Winternationals doesn't need to be held over 4 days - maybe 3 tops. I don't have a suggestion as in how to streamline the program, but I'm sure it would be achievable. This would combine fast paced on track action for fans & less time away from work or business or family for all competitors. This year (& I hope I've got this right), but some Group 3&4 competitors were into eliminations by Saturday afternoon. They may have well as made them run a couple of rounds at the Warm Up so they weren't an annoyance to the "Big Show"! Instead of Group 2 qualifying runs being spread over 3 days, run all 3 in the 1 day or maybe Willowbank could take a leaf out Sydney's book & have 2 the first day, 1 in the next morning & E1 later that day. Group 1 would still deservedly get top billing whilst allowing Group 2,3&4 to be (& quite rightly) part of the entertainment. Everyone deserves to be involved as everyone pays entry fees, licence fees, etc.

Willowbank needs to realise that the Winters is no longer the last event of the season, so competitor numbers may suffer because of the real possibility of weather like last weekend. If competitors don't come, then it won't be long before spectators won't spend the money either & then where are we? If ANDRA want to add new brackets (Supercharged Outlaws & the compact cars) then great, but they have to fit in with the established brackets in order for the combination to work.

Sydney & Kwinana run really tight events - never seen a more determined effort to complete an event when faced with bad weather & curfews like these track's officials do. I'm sure these tracks aren't perfect, but they have the best interests of the fans & competitors as the #1 priority so if they get these 2 ingredients right, then the track prospers.

So I reckon change the date, shorten the duration & treat competitors/spectators with respect.

Just my opinion but it seems simple enough.

Changing the dates won't help anyone. Every racer knows when the winters is on and the crowd knows when the winters is on,
if you change the dates it will just mean less racers and smaller crowd.

You can't blame the track for the weather. While it not good for anyone cancelling the event not only do the racers and spectators loose out but the track does also.

While I'm not sure why they didn't reschedule for another date I do applaud Willowbank for not dragging it out an look at racing on the Tuesday.

While this event may not be that last round anymore it is still the biggest and best event on the calendar.

I had a 3 day pass ($140) for this event and although I missed out on day I didn't go home disappointed the qualifying show on sat an sun was just amazing I think.

And with the 4 qualifiers I will admit I love it but to help with costs for a lot of the group 1 teams maybe it should be 3 qualifiers and that will help get the event done quicker.

Anyway I thought it was still some great action from all the brackets. The top fuel show was 1 of the best I have seen in awhile with not much oil downs an 6 out of 7 in the 4 sec zone.

Doorslammer was good record bump spot. (still spewing I haven't seen Victor run a 5 in person yet)

Pro stock was the standout bracket for me. I would never have imagined this bracket would be where it is now from where it was like 8 years ago so well done to all the guys in pro stock.

Just my opinion

Aaron

Edited by: azza86 - 13-06-13 21:10:38

There could be a few reasons why Willowbank didn't reschedule:

It's not the last event of the season as there are other points scoring opportunities to determine championships.

Chance of more bad weather in the near future.

Eliminations had all ready begun in some Group1, Group3&4 by Day 3 which means that Willowbank had gotten the event past the 3/4 stage, so financially the track wouldn't be disadvantaged. I beleive they have offered Monday ticket holders the chance to redeem with entry (to the value of) at Willowbank events for the next six months.

Changing the date of the event won't impact racers or fans, that is unless they like being rained out of course.

The schedule at any track is controlled by the track and staff, they should have people in charge of their respective areas making sure ALL cars are ready to run when they enter the staging lanes. If a particular bracket or car is slowing thing down they need to step in and hurry things up. If the SC/O cars are taking too long then they need to be told to pick up their game or miss a qualifier. After all they are DYO cars and Group 3, maybe on board starters should be mandatory? Also only Andra brackets should be run at National Events, no exhibition brackets or promotional deals.

I had similar thoughts regarding non ANDRA brackets scheduled - but more about if there was a major oildown or crash etc where time would need to be made up - which thankfully didnt happen. To be honest the Factory Extreme guys and the Fastrack rides didn't take up a lot of time, and in the case of Factory Extreme they put on a pretty good show (no breakages etc) with Pacs record a highlight to watch
It must be a tough gig working out a schedule - sometimes you can't win - had the rain held off for The Monday, we would all be celebrating how great this meeting was !!!
I do support the daylight qualifying as the dew came in and the temperature was out of the track by early evening so there isn't much opportunity to run the days longer I would have thought. And the 4 qualifiers over 2 days for group 1 was great value from a spectator point of view

ANDRA Licence - SCO 1921

whitey234 wrote:

michaelv8 wrote:

Like I said Micheal group 1took about 8 hours to run 2 sessions without accident or oil downs. Take one of those away and you have easily fitted another round off grp 3. Completely. As I said to the grp 1 racer who was surprised when I told him that they were the only ones to get 4 qualifiers.  While I'm here this is not a bagging or you may take it as it is but the SCO guys need to quicken up their routines, you are grp 3 but on average were taking longer than pro stock even with them doing their wheelie bar adjustments etc. all other DYO brackets were pushed through but some of grp  one and a third took their sweet time. Some weren't ready to fire even when told and only put the starter on the blower then.!! Ok flame away but we were sitting there waiting waiting waiting, might not seem long at the car but go sit in the stands.

Your argument regarding SCO is irrelevant, to use the group your bracket is classed as, as a measure of how long it should take to go thru your pre race routine is laughable. It takes what it takes without the human element of being too slow thrown in. All brackets, regardless of the prefix have problems from time to time being too slow. Here a suggestion for anyone listening, as in Top Dragster and Top Sportsman in the US, bring in the rule that all car must be self starting. Wont fix the human element of people not having their sh1t together, though. Here is an example of a G1 team wasting 15 minutes of track time; TA FC has some issues on the startline in qualifying, intead of flicking it off on the line and being pushed back, decides to roll down the track, not having enough monmentum or possibly thinking they dont want to mess up the track should something be leaking(?), stops the car on the track at around 1000'. The track crew/ meeting director, whoever, then decide rather than push, tow, whatever the car off the track, they will wait for the car's crew to amble down the return road and tow it off at their leisure. So what bracket you run in shouldn't not determine how much time you should/ should not take for your run. Good and bad in everyone.

The schedule I assume is calculated by the track, going by their schedule for the winters. Example from Fridays schedule, Q1 for Super Sedan was 9.08 am till 10.07 am, that's 59 mins to run 111 cars, approx 1min 6secs per paired pass. Supercharged outlaw Q1 was 1.05 pm to 2.17.30, 72 1/2 mins to run 42 cars, 3 mins 2 secs per paired pass. So if the track figures that's how long it should take to get your car to the start line and it is up to the track to ensure that happens. It is within their control, what they can't control is breakages, oil downs and crashes. If racers and crew are allowed to take as much time as they like to get their car to the start line the schedule will be useless and the event will need to run over 4 drawn out days. Like Whitey said a few minutes at the car might not seem long to the crew but to the spectator sitting on a cold hard tin seat it is.

There is 1 guest and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
Shepherd Mark
Members Online: