Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?

Easter round whats going on?

Re: Easter round whats going on?

Lamattina quote  “How the hell can the point system work when they change the championship (format), is that even in the rulebook?”

Lamattina said the event should first have been run as a trialled as an exhibition where racers were invited to try the new concept.

“That's how you try it; not ram it down the competitors throat,”

Just curious did v8 supercars trial their new race format when introduce in championship(dont think so).Does it need to be in rule book,cant Andra change concept for the better of sport(can changes rules any time lol).Also this statement is from one racer no all so is only lamattina opinion not whole group one racers.And what happen about lamattina race series was that ever going to happen.Was it just all about it(ers series) for Andra take control of promotion of  drag lmt?The series fell on deaf ears very quick mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

ian smith wrote:

Just curious did v8 supercars trial their new race format when introduce in championship(dont think so).Does it need to be in rule book,cant Andra change concept for the better of sport(can changes rules any time lol).Also this statement is from one racer no all so is only lamattina opinion not whole group one racers.And what happen about lamattina race series was that ever going to happen.Was it just all about it(ers series) for Andra take control of promotion of  drag lmt?The series fell on deaf ears very quick mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Don't worry about the V8 Supercars, over in the NHRA whenever they try out a new format of racing it is never for points, only exhibition. Classic examples are the Winston No Bull Showdown (TF Vs FC) and the Four Wide race.

Follow my Australian Drag Racing History pages:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/AustralianDragRacingHistory
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/ausdraghistory
https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-19/s150x150/10932104_661024330700510_1831877871_a.jpg

Administrator has disabled public posting. Please login or register in order to proceed.

What exactly is the new V8 supercar format?

Same cars, some drivers, same racing style.

We have a product here that could kill the Supercar circus hands down but we need to clean our house first.

Trust me Ian, Racers did not want this lol and as far as the ERS deal goes, take a look what is happening at ANDRA and then look at the ERS proposal and then look at the last couple of paragraphs from Phil and you will notice its those same changes we will more than likely see within ANDRA sooner rather than later.

P Duck
ANDRA Media G24

Plucka
Crew guy on the Mopar Car
useravatar
85 Posts
Forum crewman
Male  Birthday  Website 

There were always a number of challenges in getting this meeting up, maybe too many changes at once. Its a shame as its a lost opportunity.

The Queensland Round of the V8 Supercars had a split sprint race. Once the first race was completed the teams had a set time limit to have the cars serviced and ready to race. It was untried and had favorable feedback. Points were allocated from both races. I am lead to believe that Willowbank ran a Championship Event in Round Robyn format for Door Slammers a number of years back. Not sure which event it was.

Unfortunately as good as we think the product is its not appealing to the masses. Something needs to be developed to appeal to the spectators again.

Shayne Homes wrote:

Something needs to be developed to appeal to the spectators again.

Well Phil Lamattina is the only one out there that has spent the time to come up with something. There is no harm in trying his idea, crowds couldn't get much worse, besides, even though crowds are one of the main priorities, there are many other things that need to be sorted out first.
I think Phil put it really good here:
“Drag racing is in such a fragile state; we need more venues to race at, we need the calendar to be a calendar year, we need a TV package, we need sponsors to sponsor the series so then if the series is successful so to are the teams. Then we can get the crowd back."
“Changing the format of a race meting is so narrow minded. They don't look at the big picture, only what is suitable for Willowbank Raceway. They are hypocritical saying they are doing what is good for drag racing.”

https://igcdn-photos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t51.2885-19/s150x150/10932104_661024330700510_1831877871_a.jpg

I agree with Phil on a number of points but without a format change a G1 only meet will not work. Willowbank presented an alternative but no one wanted change in spite of whats been said. Whether it was the right direction that's debatable but we will never know now.

I think the notion of an exhibition event first is a good one. If the crowd WB is trying to attract are new people, drawn in by fireworks, lasers, music etc then a show of say four cars/bikes across each of those categories doing some match racing, filled out with Pro Street cars, burnouts, wheelstanders etc would probably work.
Both sides have valid points. The sport needs to get a basic foundation first, but it does also need to look at ways to present itself that are spectator friendly.
I was pondering the other day, perhaps to avoid rounds where we spend two days qualifying and then have racing rained out, why not allocate full points based on qualifying positions? The rained out events were arguably the main reason why last season became a fizzer. At least then you could package say a TV show based on the qualifying battle...anyway this is thinking a bit more broadly than what is going on here...

But before everyone gets too down in the dumps, I think what we are enduring here is short term pain before the sport genuinely begins to expand. It may be something that's been needed for a while.

ANDRA #2702

I do think a virtual Grp 1 only event can work, 3 qualifying session one day then eliminations the next day, now with turnaround time, have a exhibition bracket or two, have a expression session for non qualifiers and first round losers, dangle a carrot to let teams participate if its needed. Now you have a similar style event, which keeps the elimination style format, plenty of passes for the crowd that isn't drawn out.

National Drag Racing Photographer
Drag News Magazine Photojournalist
www.cacklingpipes.com
www.dragnews.com.au

The Easter Event had a lot of discussion over 6 months as follows;

April 2011 - DRAG Ltd resolved the ANDRA Pro Series Calendar in April with the Easter Event listed. Public discussion commenced at this time.
May 2011 – ADRPA Conference – At the ADRPA conference it was discussed with all delegates at this meeting.
May 2011 – Paul Casos and I discussed the Easter Event with Top Alcohol Drivers and many others throughout the Nitro Champs event.
April - June – This Easter Event was openly discussed on the phone throughout  these months..
June 2011 (Thursday Winternationals ) – Drag Ltd / Group One Representatives Meeting – Openly discussed with Darren Morgan, Ric Gauci, Chris Matheson and Peter Kapiris ( Maurice Allen the following day), These representatives were asked to take the info back to their respective categories.
June 2011 – Paul Casos and I spoke to Top Doorslammer representatives at the Winternationals Kapiris / Fabietti / Phillips PLUS Steve "Pom" Read.
July 2011 -  Willowbank Representatives / Group One Representatives including Darren Morgan, Ric Gauci, Chris Matheson, Maurice Allen, Robin Judd and Kerry Tremayne plus 3 Sportsman Representatives discussed the Easter Meeting again, and they were asked to discuss the event with their respective categories.
August 2011- The following email was sent to all of the above Group One Representatives requesting feedback from their categories;

Good Morning All, As per our discussions at the re-run of the Castrol EDGE Winternationals, I promised you all that we would communicate to you the plan for the running of the very special Easter Event at Willowbank Raceway.

As mentioned to you all on that day, we are out to create something special at this event to make it truly different from the normal elimination style event. The event will feature the very best that Drag Racing has to offer along with an enormous back up show of great entertainment.

Some early criticisms of this concept have been that it will be difficult to go into a Championship  event without traditional qualifying, however as you will all remember, that scenario was exactly what occurred at the Winternationals re-run and all ANDRA Pro Series Teams started eliminations without any qualifying that weekend and the performances of all categories in first round was outstanding. So that proved that it can be done.

Anyway here is the plan.............

The Easter Event is an ANDRA Pro Series / Group One Only event.

The whole concept of this event is to try something new. This event will be a huge show business event that will feature all the ANDRA Pro Series Categories in a new multi-round format along with a lot of additional entertainment including - Fireworks Shows, Laser Light Shows, Entertainers, Master of Ceremonies, special events and other items built around the racing events.

It will be a new approach with a spectacular Two Race concept, all included in the one event over two days.  The idea is to create (2) Short and Sharp entertainment packages over the (2) days that will have the spectators yelling for more.

In simple terms, for each day of the event, it will feature the 3 round format and No Qualifying.

Day One - All Vehicles will race in first round at approx 5pm and the First Round pairings will be determined by the current ANDRA Pro Series point score.

All vehicles will then race in the Second Round at approx 7pm and the pairings will be determined by times recorded in the first round.

Then for the Third Round, at approx 9pm, the quickest 4 winners from Second Round will run in the “A” and  “B” final. 

National Championship Points will allocated as follows;  “A” Final Winner 100 points, “A” Final Runner Up 80 points, “B” Final Winner  60 Points, “B” Final Runner Up 40 Points. The rest of the field will receive 20 points each and 5 points will be awarded to Low ET and Top Speed each day. 

Day Two - This same concept will be repeated on the second day, effectively giving two rounds and two lots of championship points for this special event.

Normal Prize money payouts will apply with 50% being allocated to each day of competition, or if it is the competitor preference to have all prize money paid out on the final day.....that is OK with us.

The event name and sponsor will be announced shortly.

The second event for the ANDRA Pro Series Teams will be the Castrol EDGE Winternationals

This will be the usual Grand Finale to the Championship Racing season for all ANDRA Pro Series Teams as well as all Group 2, 3 and 4 Categories. This event will be run as normal with traditional elimination formats for all ANDRA categories.

As we are about to finalise all our competitor information for the season with an email to all involved this week, I would appreciate any thoughts that you may have on the Easter Event as soon as possible.

Many Thanks, Steve B

Following the above email ........

September 2011 – After receiving minimal feedback from the Group One Representatives, I then sent a further reminder email on the 5th of Sept as follows;

Hi Everyone, I have only received feedback from 2 sources so far on the Easter Event. Can you please let me know your thoughts asap.
Also, we have just been made aware of a Singing Eisteddfod that will attract a lot of people to Ipswich over Easter. I would suggest that you mention this to your list of race team contacts as accommodation in Ipswich will be at a premium.

Regards  Steve B

Following the above email............

September 2011 – After receiving virtually no feedback again from the Group One Representatives, we then detailed the Willowbank Raceway Drag Racing Season ( including details on Easter ) via a Competitor Bulletin to ALL competitors Australia Wide on the 9th September.
September 2011 – The new ANDRA Ltd Board discussed the event and approved it. There were no stipulations, no requirements, and I was told that the approval can be released publicly.
September 2011 – Then following some malicious undermining by a few people ....I then sent an email asking for full support for the Easter Event from the Group One Teams in writing so that we can get on with the job.

After we had spent 6 months communicating the event through the elected channels, the problem was that some people had been focusing on tearing the sport apart over the last 6 months ...... instead of focusing on what was of immediate importantance and needed strong support to move this sport forward into a new age with an innovative idea.

Willowbank Raceway has not rammed anything down the competitors throat, we have been discussing this with racers for over 6 months. BUT the issue has been that the Group One Teams were told that they will have a new series starting Feb 2012 and they can forget everything that was on the plate at the time. When the new series was withdrawn, competitors then realised that they had to run what was in front of them.

These are the facts and I hope this explains our efforst to make this event work.

Steve B

A few issues i noticed,

Did Willowbank select reps for the classes (considering Pro stock needed the highest car count they had a rep involved in the last meeting) or were the reps selcected by the various classes?

Issue with representatives is just that you cannot rely on the information getting back to all teams. if Phil could get all the group 1 drivers or owners to a meeting at the winters then i am positive Willowbank could have done the same thing and handed out a flyer/questionair to all of those people at the time.

Emailing racers will not be the ideal method to get feedback, some kind of faxback form or a good old fashioned phone call to get each individuals thoughts on the matter.

What happened here is what i see to be the biggest problem with the sport as a whole in the recent past and that is communication, by the looks of things Mr Bettes looks like he did what he and the board thought to be the best thing at the time but it looks to have failed for this deal.

Also i personally  would be careful of using malicious undermining and people tearing the sport apart, someone out there may take offence over it, no matter how upset you may be with the situation, Its best left alone.

Paul Drady
ANDRA Media G24

Plucka
Crew guy on the Mopar Car
useravatar
85 Posts
Forum crewman
Male  Birthday  Website 

To me and its only my opinion ,only one group fail the sport this time and its not the usual group  (drag lmt,andra or tracks)it was the racers.Will we see in the future the racers controlling the sport and will that be good for the sport?Its like a company like Coles and give the power to all about 60000 of workers to run it,that will work lol

ian smith wrote:

Its like a company like Coles and give the power to all about 60000 of workers to run it,that will work lol

They don't have to do that because they have some of the smartest businessmen running the company

I think all this looks pretty straightforward.
The track wanted to try something different to maybe get the fans interested in paying $50 a day to watch dragracing again.
The racers didnt want to change they way events have been run for the last 20 years or so.

Funnily enough, I am straddling the fence on this one. I can understand the track trying something new, they need to keep the turnstiles turning, but I can also emphasise with the racers, who lets face it, aren't big on change. But I respect that its their call to a certain degree, they are the ones putting on the show.

quote from Donato Zotti  Don't worry about the V8 Supercars, over in the NHRA whenever they try out a new format of racing it is never for points, only exhibition. Classic examples are the Winston No Bull Showdown (TF Vs FC) and the Four Wide race.

four wide race is for points,every motor sport in the world has change their race format.so why is some people or racers against  least see if it work, then every one will know that might work or that doesnt work.at moment every one guessing what easter rd is good or bad for sport

Four wide was never for points right away

There is 1 guest and 0 other users also viewing this topic

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User:
shakiraconcert
Members Online: