Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?
  • Index
  • » Users
  • » michaelv8

14-06-16 12:37:11
Topic: entries
winternationals
Category: General Discussion
Forum: Track Talk

Aleko, traditionally the majority of racers at the W'Nats are form Qld, with 25% from interstate this year. If you looked at the entry list for the Nationals at Calder majority were from Victoria , I spoke to a competitor that said his round trip to Willowbank was 2000k's and he lives in Qld. What is the point you are trying to make here? Any big event in any state you expect the majority of racers would be from that state.

12-06-16 14:42:00
winternationals

The only thing that time will tell is that the Winternationals is by far the biggest and best drag race in Australia bar none. I cannot wait for next year as it will be the 50th running of this iconic event. Over 400 racers made the effort to race this event and it was exciting and spectacular racing in front of a massive crowd. All the racers were very appreciative of the amazing crowd just as the crowd were of witnessing some great racing, everybody got there moneys worth. Those racers that did attend are prepared to support both series and hold 2 licences if that what it takes to race. Everyone has a choice of when and where they race, if they want to miss the biggest race of the year so be it. The negative people of the sport say it is in disarray but I am sure the 400 racers and 30,000 spectators that attended this year Winternationals would disagree. Congratulations to Willowbank Raceway.

19-05-16 22:09:19
winternationals

The sanctioning fee under Andra for the Winternationals was more the than revenue they are missing out on, why do you think they went to IHRA?

18-05-16 22:38:18
winternationals

Better read the entry list AJ, there are racers from every state, except ACT and TAS, and 1 from NZ. You talk like those so called heavy hitters from down south only need to show up to win. If Queensland racers do make the majority of the entries then drag racing up here is in pretty good shape and there are some super tough racers up here ,you know who they are. To say Winternationals is nothing more than a glorified QDRC round is nothing short of ridiculous, it is Australia's only iconic drag race.

18-05-16 08:40:31
winternationals

There are 411 entries for the 2016 Winternationla, 60 Pro teams and 351 sportsman racers. To say that a win here won't be as big this year because the so the called heavy hitters from down south aren't entered is an insult to those racers that choose to run this iconic drag racing event. This event is the biggest and most prestigious run outside the US, if at the end of the weekend you hold the winners trophy in your hand you are the Winternaionals Champion. This is Australian Drag Racing's longest running continuous event, has only ever had 2 homes, Surfers Paradise and Willowbank Raceway. That is why racers come from all over Australia and overseas to race it.

16-04-16 11:03:45
Forum: The Bench

Hey aj427
Yes these are my thoughts and this is a forum, a drag racing forum where people can come on and have their say on the sport. You do not have to agree with those peoples opinions  but it is not your place to tell them that they can't express them here. I am not an Andra hater but at the moment I am not a supporter as you obviously are, that's your choice, I respect that, you don't have all the facts.
When I see something that I see as positive for the sport, the tracks and the racers come from Andra, they will get my support again. Until then my support is to my local track.' 

15-04-16 18:33:54

Andra claims it is being forced into exploring legal action in WA and in Qld. How are they being or by who is "forcing" them? Have they canvassed the members that they care so much about? One can only assume that if legal action goes ahead that it will be costly so where is the money coming from? Is this legal action to force the tracks and racers who race under IHRA sanction to return to Andra control and should Andra be successful in this legal action and gain "control" over the tracks and racers again will they reintroduce the exorbitant sanctioning fees and up the licence fees? Next time you get a chance to talk to someone from Andra who will give you an honest answer ask them how much the sanctioning fees were that they used to charge the tracks to put on a meeting especially a championship event like the Winternationals.

24-03-16 19:04:25

So Simon you are saying that the Group 1 racers, I assume you just don't mean the Top Fuel guys but ALL group1, should have "forced" Andra and  the tracks to sort the situation because only group 1 have any real power? So you don't think that if all the Sportsman racers had refused to race that they may not have had some "real power"? Agreed that group1 does have pulling power but it has been proven over and again you cannot run group1 in this country as a stand alone show. You cannot have one group dictating to anyone how the sport should be run, this is the problem too much self interest  and not enough looking at what is the best for the whole of the sport.

24-03-16 13:41:55

As of now you have a choice, if you don't want to pay for an IHRA licence you don't have to or you can do like others and have both and race anywhere you wish. We all have to pay for our racing. When I was paying nearly $400 for my UDL was I subsiding the JD's licence? As for the 400 Thunder deal ,we waited 5 years for Andra's 3 year "Strategic Plan" , it is been only 5 months so give them a chance.

24-03-16 10:42:07

Craig, couldn't agree more, anybody that thinks switching to IHRA sanction was going to the miracle fix for drag racing  know little about the sport. The tracks must be profitable just like any business, if your income is less than your expenses than you go broke. Willowbank has made it's venue multi functional so that is does not have rely solely on race meeting for an income. It also has annual meeting with racers from Group1 to 4 for see how the they can improve the facility for the racers and the spectators to ultimately make events bigger and better. Track support is vital if drag racing is to survive because without them we have nowhere to race.

23-03-16 23:17:41

Yes a track that changes to IHRA sanction does have the same people running it, the events go ahead as they did before. Nothing changes form a racing perspective, changes at administration level however remain to be seen.

20-03-16 10:08:48

There would appear that a lot of people don't really know the full story and believe everything they see, hear and read, especially stuff coming from Andra. I have had over 45 year involvement in the sport, and the early days were similar to the US, it was seen that drag racing needed it's owns organisation to head and move the sport forward. So Andra was formed. In those days racers had a say in how their sport was run, Andra affiliated clubs were able to vote on various aspects of the sport, that no longer exists. When was the last time you(Andra Members) were asked to or able to vote?
My local race track is Willowbank raceway. for the last 3 years at the start of each season the WB broad has open meetings with ALL racers from group 1 to group 4. All members of the board are present and nothing is off the table for discussion. It is through these meeting that you can get truths not hear say about what is going on. The track did their best to work with Andra and as some of you claim they did not try and dictate to them. In the end the track was left with no choice but to go with IHRA. Find out how much the sanction fees were being charged by Andra and compare that with IHRA's. All of a sudden Andra not only reduce sanctioning fees they can remove them altogether? And all of a sudden they announce a reduction in licence fees? Come on people wake up, Andra had it so good for so long, did so little  and became so arrogant that that is why the current situation exists. IHRA only provide sanction for racing, it is the tracks the run the events, not IHRA not Andra.

11-01-16 18:54:45
Race Calenders

There are a couple of issues to keep in mind here people. Firstly is the issue of safety, I think that anybody would question how just adding temporary concrete barriers all of a sudden makes a track that couldn't run SC/Outlaw and group 2 over I/4 mile one meeting to being able to run ALL cars and bikes including group1 the next meeting. I am sure that every racer from all brackets would like the opportunity to run the Nationals but safety has to come first and I would not run my outlaw car there until I knew that the track correctly met the official safety standards or at the very least proves they can run cars safely through the 1/4 mile, the Nationals is not the meeting to be finding that out.
Secondly is licences, for those racers from Group1 down who have changed to IHRA licence for only  $70 USD and who have not renewed their Andra licence at a considerable amount more, especially Group1, would not be eligible to race the Nationals. Could be why Andra is offering casual group 1 licences valid for 1 month only. 

04-01-16 12:32:30
Race Calenders

Tex
Entries for the Nationals close on Friday the 15th, that's less than 2 weeks away and as of today no entry list on Calder website. Why can't they put up the entry list for the fans and potential spectators to see. These are the same people that Calder want to come and pay to watch this event, I for one would like to know who and what I can expect to see racing and when as there is no schedule up yet either.

03-01-16 18:51:38
Race Calenders

Calder by their own admission stated that they had areas that showed needing improvement, though didn't elaborate. Let's hope that none was track or safety related and that whoever made the decision to race Group 1 over 1/4 mile did so with safety of the racers in mind  Can't see how some cars could only race 1000' last meeting but it is ok to race 1/4 next meeting without anything changing. They are also stated they have they necessary entries to make the event successful but no entry list yet on their website. If you want to stop the critics on social media put the information out there for all to see.

• Index
  • » Users
  • » michaelv8

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User: