Don't miss a thing from Drag News Magazine.

Email Address

Brought to you by

Forgot password? | Forgot username?
  • Index
  • » Users
  • » Quartermile

14-03-16 14:22:38
Category: General Discussion
Forum: The Bench

Again, haven't heard much positive come out of the situation. If that's the case, what are sportsman racers in the big three states meant to do?

13-03-16 17:31:32

Have there been any benefits whatsoever since IHRA came on board for racers or fans? Meetings at Perth don't seem to be any better than when ANDRA sanctioned and ran events there, in fact crowds seem to be down. The first meeting at Sydney last year was nothing out of the ordinary either.

I know ANDRA wasn't perfect, at times it was far from it. But in hindsight, was this switch worth it?

I would love to see a list of benefits that IHRA and 400 Thunder will have for racers and fans, not tracks, and what their plans for the future of the sport is. It's been a while and I haven't heard much from them lately.

13-03-16 01:28:37

So is this it? Is this what drag racing will be like from now on in Australia? Alternating meeting between Adelaide and Melbourne for ANDRA and what seems to be the exact same meetings and events at the other three tracks for the IHRA rounds?
The only thing that has seemed to happen after all this comotion is a big divide between racers and tracks that has only had a negative affect on the sport that doesn't seem like it will ever be repaired. In the big picture, it doesn't seem like there is anything positive that's going to come out of this.

07-02-16 14:28:40

Here is a report on the new streming servie:
http://www.nhra.com/story/2016/2/5/nhra … -programs/

07-02-16 14:25:22

If you purely have Foxtel for NHRA, you can now stream every event live with full coverage from Jnr Dragster to Top Fuel for just 100-150 a year as opoosed to paying around 100 a month for Fox, Check the NHRA website.

28-07-15 12:58:01
TImes about up
23-07-15 16:25:41
TImes about up

wadragracing wrote:

Michael, ANDRA collectively promotes the championship. The tracks promote individual events but don't generally assist each other on a national level.
Good events are produced with team work. ANDRA sends the promotional trailer up, they help generate media coverage, they get stewards organised and fly officials in if needed. Plus they do a lot of the unseen work, helping new venues get off the ground, investigating safety - there is a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes day to day in head office as well that people just aren't exposed to. Just because it isn't up there in lights doesn't mean it isn't occuring. When this is combined with an excellent group like the HVDRA the results are such as the event on the weekend which everyone seems to be very impressed with.

And with Ray Treasure on board with ANDRA now, I only see that as a huge positive for the sport and one big reason why people should stick with them. The event at Hidden Valley was an amazing success.
The only track that seems to struggle getting numbers is Sydney, and I think most can agree that is due to the things that have happened there in the past and little to do with ANDRA. Adelaide can struggle too, but that lacks the funding the big tracks have, the promoting of events is sometimes scarce and the facility is not the best which doesn't help.
Perth and Willowbank usually have good crowds and great racing and I think Hidden Valley can be added to that list for now.

I just don't understand why things such as entry fees and the TV levy etc can't be sorted out with ANDRA?
If the tracks put all the effort they put into going against ANDRA and instead work with them, wouldn't that create a much better outcome for the sport as a whole?

17-07-15 15:14:55
TImes about up

I haven't read much that has been posted, but one thing is for sure, and that is that the sport has looked like a joke the way both parties have gone about all this. It also seems very last minute considering the new season is about to start tomorrow, even though it has been in talks for a long time. I don't understand why it wasn't announced with a full package ready to deliver to the fans and racers.
This stuff about teams supporting the new series is a load of bull as well. It doesn't matter who is putting the series together, if you run a meeting teams will show up anyway because with the state of the sport at the moment, it has just become an expensive hobby where 90% of teams just want to have some fun.
Personally, I can't tell whether this is a step backwards or forwards, but I just hope the outcome of all this is for the better of the sport because I think a lot of people aren't really sure what to think at the moment.

17-07-15 14:50:52

A huge loss to the sport, they will be missed. They were nothing short of a world class drag racing team.

One positive I can think of is that most of the season will take place while the AFL is in it's off season which can help draw more spectators. The V8's also run a calendar year, but it goes from March till December giving ANDRA two months where there are no AFL or V8SC rounds to take advantage of and try and draw those spectator to the events. The biggest advantage is having no AFL from September to March and strategically dating events during those months where there are no V8 races could help boost crowds.
The A-League is run during the financial year and the crowds have picked up considerably over the past few years with no other major competition they have to deal with. Although they have been advertising and promoting the league in a big way lately.

Also, having the Winternationals as the final round just seems right!

06-08-14 12:21:56

I also think there needs to be changes in group 1 competition.
F1, Moto GP, V8SC and all other big motor sport classes are successful because of the package they can deliver which is very straight forward. It is very simple to get your head around a sport where all the cars are designed equally and the first to the finish line wins. Drag Racing has so many different classes and rules plus technical things people don't understand it is too hard to attract new fans. I think Drag Racing needs to be simplified to only a few group 1 classes where you can focus on delivering a good package to the fans. I would say Top Fuel, Top Doorslammer (with turbo) and Pro Stock (with EFI). The rest of the classes are great, I have nothing against them, but I think it becomes too much for people to wrap their heads around. Imagine if there was 6 different F1 classes!
16 car TD field, 16 car PS field and an 8 car TF field would work really well, providing we have the teams to make those numbers. And to give the fans that little bit more, TF could have an extra qualifying round when the rest run first round which is mandatory (with the first three not being mandatory the day before). This also gives to opportunity to make all events only two days long, three days is too much I think for drag racing. Pack them in for one big show!

This is just an idea I had thought of a while ago, some may not like it at all:
To make the ANDRA meetings more exclusive, the group 2 racers should maybe need to qualify to enter them. Maybe only the top 10, 20 or 40 (for the real popular classes) racers in each class get to go with wild card positions available as well to make up some numbers. Just an idea that might make that might make the sportsman rounds more interesting and the ANDRA meetings more prestigious.

06-08-14 11:59:54

EFI in Pro Stock

10-06-14 18:45:28

Thank goodness we still get to enjoy 1/4 mile action next year!

09-06-14 22:06:12

I only skimmed through this article, but this is a difficult topic to talk about on a forum. There is a lot I could write about and some people may agree or disagree, but I will clarify that my opinion is that of someone who has spent a lot of time at the track working with racing teams, but never on a Top Fuel car or any nitro burning car for that matter. I will try and make each point short and sharp.

Firstly, I don't think Scott Kalitta's death would have been avoidable if the racing distance was 1000ft. He seemed to have blown the engine before that distance and it was the impact at the end of the track that seemed to have killed him (correct me if I am wrong). Having a proper braking area and properly designed sand trap may have saved his life. The same goes for many other deaths in the sport, I don't like talking about it, but a shorter racing distance would not have saved the lives of many racers.

Secondly, I don't think it makes racing much safer because teams will eventually be reaching speeds of 300+mph in a shorter time and distance. Accidents and engine explosions will still happen which is evident in the NHRA. The only reason why I think there is less over there now is because compared to ten years ago there is less teams with more knowledge meaning the chances of accidents occurring would be reduced. And by less teams I mean that DSR, JFR, Kalitta and Al-Anabi make up over half the field and they all have very good people worked on each car making the right calls on nearly every race.

Thirdly, keeping racing 1/4 mile is what makes ANDRA unique from the rest of the world and if we can put on shows like we do at the Winters more regularly, people will love to watch some full 1/4 mile nitro racing from all corners of the globe. I bet there are tens of thousands of NHRA fans that would prefer to see 4.60 second 1/4 mile passes over 3.75 second 1000ft. passes.

Lastly, it may cut costs, but if teams are struggling that much that they need to cut the racing distance to save money, they probably shouldn't be racing in Top Fuel because everyone knows it is very expensive and if it is being considered simply because the NHRA did it, they might need to think hard about making the decision.

Only my two cents, but I don't have any experience around any Top Fuel teams, but if they think this is good for them and the sport then maybe it should be considered since they are the ones out there on the track.

09-06-14 15:51:42

There were a couple of scary incidents at the meeting and as long as all involved are okay, that is the main thing. Hopefully everything is okay with Ben Bray.
Other than that, the meeting was amazing, I wasn't even there and I was excited to just see pictures and look at the results. It is great to see we can still put on a good show for racers and fans and hopefully this gives other tracks around the country a confidence boost, especially the ones that are struggling. The Winternationals is one of the best drag racing meetings in the world, and although there are bigger meetings in the USA, I truly believe that our Winternationals out does most NHRA events. We might not have the low and consistent 4.4 second Top Fuel passes or Funny Cars anymore, but the whole show is brilliant to watch and the fact that the spectacle isn't just Top Fuel (which was brilliant this year) shows that our package at the Winternationals is better than what is happening in the NHRA at the moment. Hopefully we see more of this around the country!

• Index
  • » Users
  • » Quartermile

Board Info

Board Stats

Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts today:
User Info

Total Users:
Newest User: